Extended Essay - CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien

Guest Impashence

Guest Impashence

Ok, so my research question is: To what extent are CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien alike in their writings (more specifically in LOTR and the Chronicles of Narnia) in relation to their friendship? What caused them to write so differently?

I have written over 3000 words on this essay, and i have way too much bibliographical information. To me, a lot of the bibliographical information is very important to explaining why they are alike and different. However, i also know that this is an English A1 exam and that i need to be comparing them in a literary sense. I was planning to cover comparing: age group aims, mood/tone, allegorical contexts and references, and relgious content... But now that i have hit the 3200 word mark, i realized that i have a lot of bibliographical stuff. I know that i need to cut down on it, but how much is too much? When have i surpassed my limit on bibliographical stuff? Do you think it would be good to incorporate the bibliography into the comparison? (as in doing the comparison and then taking the bibliography and adding it into the comparison - sprinkle it throughout my paper)

As of now, my paper is organized like this:

Introduction, Bibliography CSLEWIS, Bibliography JRRTOLKIEN, comparison of thier lives, comparison of the religious nature, comparison of various literary techniques, conclusion.

Is this good or bad. Even if you can't tell me a lot, i would love some feedback on my topic and essay. :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest iber2468

I think your scope is too wide. My EE supervisor took on one english paper this year and she made the girl narrow it down to TWO themes. I think you're doing WAY too much and it'll overload soon. Or else you'll just have a really generalised paper with no particular focus.

Pick two themes/techniques and write about it. I know you have TONS of material w/ the LOTR trilogies, hobbit, and all the narnia books.

• 1 month later...

There's this really useful site I found, and unfortunately, I think you may have a bit of a problem with the topic. The IB says that biographical based extended essays aren't a good idea because most students tend to reproduce a biography of the writer they're talking about and don't discuss the work in detail. That actually sounds a bit like what you're doing, so if you keep the biography to a minimum, and discuss the work in more detail i.e. narrow it down (as said above), it might work out better.

Site:extended essay A1 guide