Has anyone here done a Computer Science EE?

Literate

I'm in the pre-IB program at my high school in Canada. I have always been interested in CS, and I would like to do my EE on that topic.

The thing is, my school doesn't offer Computer Science in IB, Next year (Grade 10), I am taking the Grade 12 non-IB CS course, but will it be enough? (Grade 11 and Grade 12 are the IB years for my school system)

Also, I'm wondering what topic my EE should be on.

I've been thinking of something like "On the Usage of Genetic Programming to Model Evolution" but I'm not sure if that'll be a good topic. Can anyone who is experienced in CS tell me about possible topics I could do?

Edited by Literate

I'm in the pre-IB program at my high school in Canada. I have always been interested in CS, and I would like to do my EE on that topic. The thing is, my school doesn't offer Computer Science in IB, Next year (Grade 10), I am taking the Grade 12 non-IB CS course, but will it be enough? (Grade 11 and Grade 12 are the IB years for my school system) Also, I'm wondering what topic my EE should be on. I've been thinking of something like "On the Usage of Genetic Programming to Model Evolution" but I'm not sure if that'll be a good topic. Can anyone who is experienced in CS tell me about possible topics I could do?

You will first of all need to check the specification for IB Computer Science to see if you are covering anything. Best thing is to show your teacher (if there is one) the IB syllabus and ask if you will be covering all that. Most probably you will cover some of the aspects in the IB at the very least.

A Computer Science EE is like opening the gates of Hell. Seriously. No joke. I gave up my summer and had to write six EEs until I found a suitable topic. I only settled on it in the last month and I managed to finish it but it was very very stressful. Don't take it unless you are 1000% (not a typo) sure you are dedicated to Computer Science. If you need help on a CS EE or anything related, you can ask me personally. I finished mine early this year and I have read a couple of CS EEs. Genetic Programming to Model Evolution sounds like a good topic. If you cover aspects in Computer Science in depth, find enough material and start early enough, I think you won't have any problems with it.

One of the major problems about CS EEs are finding a good topic that you are passionate about, has enough material and that hasn't been done before.

Edited by DJ CAS

Hey, I'm also doing a Computer Science EE, haven't chosen my topic yet but I know for a fact that I'm either gonna do it on the Advantages and Disadvantages of Turbo Boost (dunno if its a good topic though) or something on mp3 compression, bit rates, something like that. a

Trust me, you do NOT want to be doing an EE based on programming because first of all, any programming you do, DOES NOT count as part of the word count, your analysis does and you are going to be doing a LOT of analysis. I'm assuming you're not doing the actual IB Computer Science course because programming that much is hard. it is really hard, and like what the person above me said, it is seriously like opening the gates of hell.

So my suggestion is that, unless you are 1000% confident in programming, do NOT base your EE on programming, most student do stuff like Internet Security, hardware, and all that stuff. So I'm not saying you shouldn't do a programming EE, but even the nerdy programming ppl in my class avoided doing an EE based on programming.

Hey, I'm also doing a Computer Science EE, haven't chosen my topic yet but I know for a fact that I'm either gonna do it on the Advantages and Disadvantages of Turbo Boost (dunno if its a good topic though) or something on mp3 compression, bit rates, something like that. a

Trust me, you do NOT want to be doing an EE based on programming because first of all, any programming you do, DOES NOT count as part of the word count, your analysis does and you are going to be doing a LOT of analysis. I'm assuming you're not doing the actual IB Computer Science course because programming that much is hard. it is really hard, and like what the person above me said, it is seriously like opening the gates of hell.

So my suggestion is that, unless you are 1000% confident in programming, do NOT base your EE on programming, most student do stuff like Internet Security, hardware, and all that stuff. So I'm not saying you shouldn't do a programming EE, but even the nerdy programming ppl in my class avoided doing an EE based on programming.

When you say Turbo Boost, do you mean a software used to allocate virtual memory? It doesn't sound like a good EE topic at all. You need a question that is going to let you use analysis. Yes, however annoying that word is, you are going to get used to it over this year. It's really annoying. MP3 compression is an ok topic. It is stated clearly in the Extended Essay Guide for Computer Science so you won't get any marks in the Originality criterion for your Extended Essay because it has been done by a lot of people already.

[To Literate] An EE with programming is a good chance to show your programming skills. It really depends on what your EE is about. If it is something really fancy, it might be worth your while but you should never over-do it as does not gain you extra marks and is simply there to help you prove a point or demonstrate something. However, don't be discouraged by this to not do your EE with programming. You will definitely find people warning you about CS EEs and they will be paranoid but they all have a good reason to be as you will soon find out.

If you want a brainstorm of EE topics, I can tell you a few. I did mine on Quantum Processors and my friend did it on if it is possible to create a completely secure computer system.

Edited by DJ CAS

• 1 month later...

im going to be doing an EE on motion sensing and how the information is transferred from motion to computer executable commands. DO u think this is a viable computer science EE topic?

Sounds like a very interesting Computer Science topic. You might have to go a little into the Physics of the circuits and stuff. It would make your EE look good. Unless you are planning to do this in detail with your own primary research with perhaps, your own motion sensor, don't select it because it might be too complex and time-consuming.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• 9 years later...
On 5/11/2010 at 4:11 PM, DJ CAS said:

You will first of all need to check the specification for IB Computer Science to see if you are covering anything. Best thing is to show your teacher (if there is one) the IB syllabus and ask if you will be covering all that. Most probably you will cover some of the aspects in the IB at the very least.

A Computer Science EE is like opening the gates of Hell. Seriously. No joke. I gave up my summer and had to write six EEs until I found a suitable topic. I only settled on it in the last month and I managed to finish it but it was very very stressful. Don't take it unless you are 1000% (not a typo) sure you are dedicated to Computer Science. If you need help on a CS EE or anything related, you can ask me personally. I finished mine early this year and I have read a couple of CS EEs. Genetic Programming to Model Evolution sounds like a good topic. If you cover aspects in Computer Science in depth, find enough material and start early enough, I think you won't have any problems with it.

One of the major problems about CS EEs are finding a good topic that you are passionate about, has enough material and that hasn't been done before.

Just now, Ananyajain- said:
On 5/11/2010 at 4:11 PM, DJ CAS said:

Hi! I am also an eleventh grader and I am currently in the process of selecting my Extended Essay topic. Since I have very less technical expertise, I thought of connecting my EE topic in CS to my passion and interest. For the past two years I have been working on providing quality education to the blind using technology so I thought of aligning my EE topic to this. The two ideas I thought of are - How Artificial Intelligence can help improve the education for blind, How can coding be taught to the blind. Please help me out as I am currently very confused. 

3 hours ago, Ananyajain- said:

Hi! I am also an eleventh grader and I am currently in the process of selecting my Extended Essay topic. Since I have very less technical expertise, I thought of connecting my EE topic in CS to my passion and interest. For the past two years I have been working on providing quality education to the blind using technology so I thought of aligning my EE topic to this. The two ideas I thought of are - How Artificial Intelligence can help improve the education for blind, How can coding be taught to the blind. Please help me out as I am currently very confused. 

You might need a more qualitatively driven answer. The question should be phrased in a way that shows more forethought/drive into the area you are analysing i.e. something specific in AI vs just AI.

It sounds a bit broad right now.

6 hours ago, DJ CAS said:

You might need a more qualitatively driven answer. The question should be phrased in a way that shows more forethought/drive into the area you are analysing i.e. something specific in AI vs just AI.

Thanks! I will dig some more and will surely get back to you :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 12:11 PM, DJ CAS said:

Hi! 

After some research that I did, I thought of focusing on Natural Language Processing. So can my topic be "The use of natural language processing in providing quality education for blind" ? Also, if u have any other ideas of anything specific in AI, please share and I will research more on it.

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2010 at 7:55 PM, DJ CAS said:

When you say Turbo Boost, do you mean a software used to allocate virtual memory? It doesn't sound like a good EE topic at all. You need a question that is going to let you use analysis. Yes, however annoying that word is, you are going to get used to it over this year. It's really annoying. MP3 compression is an ok topic. It is stated clearly in the Extended Essay Guide for Computer Science so you won't get any marks in the Originality criterion for your Extended Essay because it has been done by a lot of people already.

[To Literate] An EE with programming is a good chance to show your programming skills. It really depends on what your EE is about. If it is something really fancy, it might be worth your while but you should never over-do it as does not gain you extra marks and is simply there to help you prove a point or demonstrate something. However, don't be discouraged by this to not do your EE with programming. You will definitely find people warning you about CS EEs and they will be paranoid but they all have a good reason to be as you will soon find out.

If you want a brainstorm of EE topics, I can tell you a few. I did mine on Quantum Processors and my friend did it on if it is possible to create a completely secure computer system.

Hi! I'm also thinking about doing an EE in CS or ITGS.

The idea I pitched to my teacher was something along the lines of "To what extent will GPU and CPU processing speeds have to be in order to create a gaming experience indistinguishable from reality?" I thought of researching VR, GPU and CPU power, clock speeds, etc. But I was told that doing this exploration would have no use. What does anyone else think?

I am thinking of doing something about cryptocurrency. "To what extent is cryptocurrency a more practical alternative to cash/credit?" I haven't asked my teacher yet, but I think it would lean more towards ITGS (since i'll be talking about effects on the environment and society as well), not too sure. 

What does anyone think of this? or can anyone suggest topics along the lines of these two areas (crypto/GPU & CPU power)? I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you!

snoopy

• 6 months later...