I'm really scared - Chemistry HL

Articflames

Hi,

well I take HL chemistry and I want to at LEAST get a level 4...my course work is a level 5/6 and well how many marks in papers 1, 2, and 3 would I need approximately to get a level 4?

I'm really scared I'm going to fail this exam :( ...I've been trying so hard, doing past papers and everything but it doesn't seem to go in...and I am really freaking out and don't know what to do...I have studied it's just that Chemistry doesn't seem to want to stick in my head...any ideas on how to help me remember a few things in the syllabus? I really don't want to fail and I'm starting to really freak out here...one the options I can get a level 5/6 (did in the mocks) it's just paper 2 that really drags my level down :(

Hi,

well I take HL chemistry and I want to at LEAST get a level 4...my course work is a level 5/6 and well how many marks in papers 1, 2, and 3 would I need approximately to get a level 4?

I'm really scared I'm going to fail this exam :( ...I've been trying so hard, doing past papers and everything but it doesn't seem to go in...and I am really freaking out and don't know what to do...I have studied it's just that Chemistry doesn't seem to want to stick in my head...any ideas on how to help me remember a few things in the syllabus? I really don't want to fail and I'm starting to really freak out here...one the options I can get a level 5/6 (did in the mocks) it's just paper 2 that really drags my level down :(

Hii - a fellow IB Chemistry HL victim here!

For starters, I am HORRIBLE at Chemistry, so I know the position you're in! Use the IB Chemistry Syllabus (you can find it on ibchem.com), and annotate each "outcome" with how you would do it. If the syllabus "state what is meant by the term 'oxidation number,'" write down what is meant. The IB Chemistry syllabus offers a lot of hints, as to what they want to hear on the exam.

For me, writing notes on each 'topic,' has really helped! After you've done a topic, do ONLY past paper questions on that topic to consolidate your knowledge.

Lastly, don't do a full past paper tomorrow night (ie. the night before the exam), because if you do poorly, you'll only get yourself down.

Hope that helps! :(

I have a tremendous inner feeling that this year's exam is going to turn out overly difficult. Also, Paper 1 is likely to be a real challenge, since that was the case in both maths and physics exams. what do you guys think, will the level of difficulty actually rise or am I just panicking? Cheers to all.

Yes definitely go through the latest syllabus and do LOTS of past exams (especially May and Nov 09) to get an idea of what to expect. If you can list some specific topics where you are struggling - I can possibly give you some advice.

well the main thing that I'm struggling with is the all the calculations we have to do....information I'm OK with but the calculations I don't seem to use the right ones at the right time or I use the wrong numbers and it really affects my confidence as they tend to be at the start of the paper (I take math studies so have never really been stron with math)

I have a tremendous inner feeling that this year's exam is going to turn out overly difficult. Also, Paper 1 is likely to be a real challenge, since that was the case in both maths and physics exams. what do you guys think, will the level of difficulty actually rise or am I just panicking? Cheers to all.

lets hope not :P haven't seen the physics exam but maths was OK (granted I take studies)....maybe the IB will be nice with Chemistry...gonna stay positive here :D

Probably not - last year the math HL exams were terribly difficult but chem HL was still 'standard'. Expect (possibly) the exam to be on par with May 2009 as its the first exam with the new syllabus. So this means you should expect a "data response/ application" style Part A question, and atleast 1 multiple choice Q relating to experimental errors/sig figs etc (which you will not find in exams prior to May 09 for chemistry)

Yes definitely go through the latest syllabus and do LOTS of past exams (especially May and Nov 09) to get an idea of what to expect. If you can list some specific topics where you are struggling - I can possibly give you some advice.

well the main thing that I'm struggling with is the all the calculations we have to do....information I'm OK with but the calculations I don't seem to use the right ones at the right time or I use the wrong numbers and it really affects my confidence as they tend to be at the start of the paper (I take math studies so have never really been stron with math)

Being in Math studies should not put you at a disadvantage since the most complex math you may possibly have to use is solving a quadratic equation (rarely). But yes it can be difficult figuring which numbers to use at times - but if you really know the concepts well it should make this easier. In part B go for the more theoretical based topics - such as organic (which will almost definately be a part B question) or periodicity, bonding, kinetics etc if you really want to avoid numbers.