Spanish SL Extended Essay

Grewal_13

Hey guys, I decided to do my extended essay in Spanish. I'm from Canada and Spanish is the fourth language I can speak fluently. Ok, so I need to decide between a few topics. My choices include analyzing two pieces of literature by Lorca, and historical events and their significance in Cuba, Spain, or any other "pais hispanohablante." For the part about events, my teacher says I should focus on HOW (i.e. "to what extent") an event impacted the culture or traditions. Does anyone have any ideas for events that did this on a grand scale in history? Also, what would be a better choice, the historical event side or analyzing literature side?

I think if you are making the effort to write it in spanish you should make your EE about the literature and how the language is used rather than history. This will show them you have a deep understanding of the language.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to sound lame, but what do you want to do? What do you want to talk about? I'd much rather talk about culture than literature, but if it was like a Blake poem, then I might change my mind, you know?

You'll spend a significant amount of time and attention on this paper. Try to pick something that's a little challenging and very interesting to you.

As for historical topics, give us more to work with. We can possibly help you if you explain what you like and what you want to work with. Be practical, but be a little idealistic as well =)

I understand that you might be limited by the number and types of resources written in Spanish. Hmm.

The thing that sticks out in history versus literature is synthesis versus analysis. You don't want to summarize others, but you still have to integrate what others say into your own ideas, which are probably going to come mainly from the works you read. :D With literature, you have more leeway, potentially, and you still have the cultural aspect to deal with as you see fit. Depends on your strengths and preferences.

• Like 1

Well if I were to do literature, I would do something about Lorca's works (Casa de Bernarda Alba + Blood Wedding) and I could potentially analyze those two works. Also, I guess parts of the essay could involve talking about cultural significance of his work.

If I were to do a historical event, I would want to do something about Fidel Castro - because he interests me. It would most likely be something about the importance of his rule in Cuba, or how it affected some different aspects.

Thanks for the suggestions. So, out of the two I've narrowed it down to, which seems like it has more potential for a better paper?

I don't think I can answer that question because both topics are great.

I did a history EE, so maybe I can provide some more insight. People probably do a lot papers on Castro. Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, you know. This shouldn't discourage you from making your EE on him, though. It should mean that you make your topic something that people wouldn't really think about. Maybe a little controversial, but you don't have to go that route.

For Spanish, it's going to be a Group 2 essay, so you actually will have a potential advantage because people who take A2 and B can do Group 2 essays [and ab initio, although it might be fishy if you write an EE for an ab initio subject and it's actually good.]

If you actually want to do an essay on Castro, but you're thinking to do one on Lorca because you can write and analyze well in Spanish, then I don't know. Once again, do you have enough resources to write on Lorca? Don't you need books/articles written in Spanish? && what do you think of potential supervisors at your school? You want to be able to get along with them & you want them to know what they're doing.

Well my Spanish teacher is no doubt the greatest teacher I've ever had, and as for resources, I could most likely get two works in Spanish for the literature one...but the Castro one would be more about Internet sources in Spanish.

I think I could go either way, but I just need a specific "question" for either topic.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello-

I am also writing my Extended Essay in Spanish for Group 2. Is a topic such as "Evaluate the level of which language is a cause for nationalist revolutions in the Falangistas (Basque Land, Catalonia, Galicia) in Spain?" with relation of the interconnected nature of language and culture in Spain?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that seems like a valid topic, good luck writing.

As for my topic, I changed it up a bit and came up with a solid research question:

"What is the political and cultural significance of the rivalry between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid and why does this rivalry exist?"

Any thoughts, or help?

Thanks.

Hello-

I am also writing my Extended Essay in Spanish for Group 2. Is a topic such as "Evaluate the level of which language is a cause for nationalist revolutions in the Falangistas (Basque Land, Catalonia, Galicia) in Spain?" with relation of the interconnected nature of language and culture in Spain?

Are these separate revolutions? You may need to narrow down the question by talking about one of the instances. Also there are different ways to answer the question. I don't have knowledge of the subject, but I was originally thinking you meant 'language' as in nuances of a dialect, like maybe Catalan has many words that express desires of freedom over authority and possibilities of violence or something--maybe farfetched. But now I'm thinking you mean the differences in dialects or something that causes disagreements. So I think you've got a nice idea with room to tighten and room to explore. It's a good starting place, and research will really help guide your question.

As for my topic, I changed it up a bit and came up with a solid research question:

"What is the political and cultural significance of the rivalry between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid and why does this rivalry exist?"

Any thoughts, or help?

Thanks.

Wow, good job. Don't laugh, but I wasn't sure if you meant soccer, so I looked it up. When you phrase the actual question, it wouldn't hurt to include something that ties it to football. How do you plan to approach the essay? You're looking at it historically and politically, so you'll need to decide which facts are important, from a historical perspective, and which analyses will guide your topic to the area you want the essay to go to.

I recommend that you make a list of points that you wish your EE to address. You won't know the content now, but just based on your knowledge, what are some areas you want to cover?

After you have this list, research and make notes on the books, articles, etc. that you read. Look at your original list again and make a new list, now based on things you can find information about.

You need to decide which direction you want your essay to go so that it's one cogent piece of research, not a combination of several little insights about the rivalry. Once you've got a basic outline, delve deeper to see if you can find more sources, and be creative. Newspaper clippings, interviews with diehard fans and/or public officials who support their district.

Yeah, well so far I have some rough ideas:

IE:

1. The Introduction: Outline basics.

2. Explain the difference in geography of two places & how it adds to rivalry.

3. Brief history and why the rivalry exists/how it began. (political influences)

4. The contrast in values between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona: Two different perspectives of the battle

-When they play, it's viewed as more than a game.

5. The cultural aspect and importance to the fans of each team.

Also, thank you for the idea of interviews with fans and all, I got some really creative ideas from that!

Yeah, well so far I have some rough ideas:

IE:

1. The Introduction: Outline basics.

2. Explain the difference in geography of two places & how it adds to rivalry.

3. Brief history and why the rivalry exists/how it began. (political influences)

4. The contrast in values between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona: Two different perspectives of the battle

-When they play, it's viewed as more than a game.

5. The cultural aspect and importance to the fans of each team.

Also, thank you for the idea of interviews with fans and all, I got some really creative ideas from that!

Grewal_13-

I just finished reading a fantastic book called "How Soccer Explains the World: An [unlikely] Theory of Globalization" by Franklin Foer and it has a fantastic chapter and Barca and Real Madrid. Not sure if you have read it or not, but I can see it helping exponentially with your proposed topic.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...