ToK Presentation: Reason vs. Emotion

i.Better

The influence of Reason and Emotion over ethical decisions  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which WoK do you believe is more important in making ethical decisions?

• Reason
    • Emotion
    • a balance of the two

I'm doing my ToK presentation next week, and looking at the role of science in informing ethical decisions. Since science is grounded in reason, and that gives it an apparent authority in our society, we are looking at the extent to which we can rely on science and reasoning to make ethical decisions, which are often highly emotional. Our real life situation is looking at eugenic abortion but I won't go into details.

I would like to hear some opinions on the influence of reason and emotion in making decisions, so I can see a few different perspectives. (also looking at whether emotions can be an obstacle to knowledge, whether as human beings we are capable of removing the influence of our emotions etc.) If you think of it as a continuum between two opposites, do you lean more towards one end? If you advocate finding a balance between the two, to what extent? :)

Any opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

• 4 weeks later...
This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: Sorry there hasn't been an answer before your presentation. It's over now, so I'm closing this.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,
IB Survival Staff