Reassurance

HanginByMyLastFingr

Yo, I'm a freshman in high school and in the Pre-IB program. But we aren't fully licensed yet so they call it Baccalaureate Prep. I have always been a mostly A's student but now that I'm in the IB program last semester I got all B's and 1 A (The A was in my Elective) I'm freaking out because I obviously want to be in a prestigious university and I don't know if I should stay in the IB program if I keep this up.

My career that I am going after is going to be either Attorney, and I want to be a high attorney, so much that I eventually want to be a partner in a big city big firm. Or I might turn after Architect or Developer. I am passionate of both of these paths that I volunteer in Teen Court and plan housing in my small spare time.

My grades were:

Eng Hon 1: 82

Spanish 1: 84

Inquiry Sk-Pre IB 81

World History Hon: 84

Algebra II Hon: 84

Chorus II: 100

Bio 1: 85

I want to take the best path that I can so I can make the most money and enjoy my career in the future.

Will it get easier as I go, or am I doing alright. I have multiple questions. HELP!

Want replies of Junior & Senior IB students, professors, teachers, basically only people that know what their talking about. No: "I hear you!!!" or anything like that.

Thank You!

Well what are those grades like compared to those of other people in your year? 84% would be good in some places, but average in others!

More importantly, do people who aren't taking the IB get into the sorts of Uni courses you described at your school? If so, it'd undoubtedly be easier not to take the IB. The IB is a pain in the backside if it's not going to give you an edge of some sort. If there's no record of people getting in doing the 'normal' qualification available at your school, then I'd consider taking the IB.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to post something on here, but I didn't want to write out a long post...

In addition to what Sandwich said, ask yourself why you're getting those grades.

Could you have done better? Were the teachers just not making sense or were you slacking?

If it's some combination, then you can do a better job. Continue with IB if you think you can commit to it. If you truly did try and it was just a bit too much, then yeah--forget it, I guess. It's only going to get busier.

Hopefully you can take AP classes as well. They're about the same thing in the eyes of college admissions officers. It depends on what you do with the classes you take more than just taking the classes themselves.

I love the concept of Teen Court! It's an awesome activity =)

Quite different from corporate law, though, right?

I suggest you take classes as electives that seem to interest you and try to vary them. You might stumble across something that you both love and can excel at.

If you're making B's in these pre-IB classes, there's no guarantee that you'll make better grades in AP classes [AP is typically harder than pre-IB. From my experience, AP averages out to about the same difficulty level as IB, but it's also easier than IB because IB is an actual program with extra requirements in the form of CAS and the EE]

Perhaps you need to form study groups with peers and try to pull up your grades. I know it's easier said than done, especially since I don't know your exact situation. If you really want to become an attorney, you've got an uphill path ahead of you, no matter what your grades are.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to post something on here, but I didn't want to write out a long post...

In addition to what Sandwich said, ask yourself why you're getting those grades.

Could you have done better? Were the teachers just not making sense or were you slacking?

If it's some combination, then you can do a better job. Continue with IB if you think you can commit to it. If you truly did try and it was just a bit too much, then yeah--forget it, I guess. It's only going to get busier.

Hopefully you can take AP classes as well. They're about the same thing in the eyes of college admissions officers. It depends on what you do with the classes you take more than just taking the classes themselves.

I love the concept of Teen Court! It's an awesome activity =)

Quite different from corporate law, though, right?

I suggest you take classes as electives that seem to interest you and try to vary them. You might stumble across something that you both love and can excel at.

If you're making B's in these pre-IB classes, there's no guarantee that you'll make better grades in AP classes [AP is typically harder than pre-IB. From my experience, AP averages out to about the same difficulty level as IB, but it's also easier than IB because IB is an actual program with extra requirements in the form of CAS and the EE]

Perhaps you need to form study groups with peers and try to pull up your grades. I know it's easier said than done, especially since I don't know your exact situation. If you really want to become an attorney, you've got an uphill path ahead of you, no matter what your grades are.