Physics HL help!

Ghanem9

is it just me or are other ibers facing trouble with the waves topic!!!!!!!!!!!! there are some parts i get and some i dnt... it prolly the teacher he's in such a hurry these days we're even taking physics instead of english B (since we're done with teh material)

if anyone can help explain and answer this question for me it would be of great help! i'll try to ask the teacher (if he's got time...he's part-time)

here's the Q:

(a) (i) State the principle of superposition.

................................................................................

................................................................................

Two loudspeakers S1 and S2 are connected to the same output of a frequency generator and are placed in a large room. Sound waves of wavelength 40 cm and amplitude A are emitted by both loudspeakers. M is a point distance 550 cm from both S1 and S2. Point P is a distance 560 cm from S1 and 580 cm from S2. shown in my signature

(ii) State and explain what happens to the loudness of the sound detected by a microphone when the microphone is moved from point M to point P.

(iii) Referring to the diagram above, the amplitude of the wave emitted by S1 is now increased to 2A. The wave emitted by S2 is unchanged. Deduce what change, if any, occurs in the loudness of the sound at point M and at point P when this change in amplitude is made.

at point M: ................................................................................

at point P: ................................................................................

(iv) The loudspeakers are now replaced with two monochromatic light sources. State the reason why bright and dark fringes are not observed along the line PM.

Waves of frequency f and speed c are emitted by a stationary source of sound. An observer moves along a straight line towards the source at a constant speed v.

(d) State, in terms of f, c and v, an expression for

(i) the wavelength of the sound detected by the observer.

(ii) the apparent speed of the wave as measured by the observer.

The observer carries a second source of sound, producing waves of the same actual frequency and speed as the stationary source. Whilst moving, the observer detects a beat frequency of 6.0 Hz for sound waves emitted by the sources of frequency 500 Hz and speed 340 ms–1.

(e) (i) Describe what is meant by beats.

(ii) Calculate the speed v of the observer.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

oh i'm doing that topic right now, it's quite a lot to know but i find it much easier than mechanics. there's a lot of equations inolved...i suggest u buy "physics for the IB diploma" by K.A. Tsokos

until i went through the whole topic in the book, i was completely lost. it's really easy to make notes from the book and unlike other textbooks it goes throught all kinds of questions which show up on problem sheets