Divine Proportion

KyleAdams

My TOK presentation is on the Divine Proportion. I have mostly finished but I was looking for some comment as to what I may include that I have left out. I want to do the best I can, so please point out everything you notice.

I start by defining the Divine Proportion and then giving a brief history of its origin. I then show a brief relationship between the Fibonacci Sequence and the Divine Proportion. Then I proceed to show some examples of the Divine Proportion in the different areas of knowledge.

I don't talk at all about the ways of knowing, and I also don't know what to talk about for the implications or what I should use for discussion questions. Any ideas?

Thanks

My TOK presentation is on the Divine Proportion. I have mostly finished but I was looking for some comment as to what I may include that I have left out. I want to do the best I can, so please point out everything you notice.

I start by defining the Divine Proportion and then giving a brief history of its origin. I then show a brief relationship between the Fibonacci Sequence and the Divine Proportion. Then I proceed to show some examples of the Divine Proportion in the different areas of knowledge.

I don't talk at all about the ways of knowing, and I also don't know what to talk about for the implications or what I should use for discussion questions. Any ideas?

Thanks

Being honest, I think that the ways of knowing are probably more important to mention than just examples from areas of knowledge. The existence of a 'divine proportion' (I'm assuming this is the same thing I've always called the golden ratio) with some examples of it is more of a presentation you'd give in a maths lesson than a TOK lesson (for the record, may there never, ever be compulsory maths presentations!!). Questions like: how did we find the golden ratio? If the golden ratio is everywhere, could it be considered a priori or a posteriori? To what extent did we discover it and to what extent did we invent it? If there is this 'perfect ratio' what about things which don't fit it -- are they imperfect? Could we use the golden ratio as a standard for perfection? This last one could have massive implications for things like eugenics etc. -- you could easily discuss that guy who thought you could tell evil from the proportions of people's faces. Do we 'see' the golden ratio via sense/perception and recognise it that way, or (particularly as it's only really been proven mathematically), do we do it by reason? Or both? etc.

Some of that might seem slightly tangental, but hopefully it gives you an idea of implications/discussion questions. Basically the more mystical/outrageous you can make it sound, the better when it comes to inventing TOK ideas, in my experience. xP I think it's a good topic to do it on, but I'd make sure demonstrations and examples are just the introduction to your presentation and that more "TOKish" questions, such as the sorts I mentioned, although of course they could be other questions entirely, fill at least half of it.

Thank you for the input! It looks I have some serious rethinking of my presentation to do. We never really discussed what makes a good presentation, and I didn't even know what a priori and a posterior were before I looked them up, so this information you have given me is invaluable.

Thank you again.