TOK Essay Help =(

msfg

Hey IB community :)

I'm having some problems with my TOK essay. Well..not so much the essay but the teacher.

He doesn't seem to know a lot about TOK, we step in class and talk about random things and we dont have a proper TOK book

which worries me quite a lot.

I need to hand in my first final TOK essay by the end of this month...

Is it possible to provide me with any tips as to how the essay layout should be?

I would really appreciate any kind of information.

Many thanks and good luck with your studies!

Edited by msfg

Hmm well I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for the format.

Some things you want to keep in mind include

1) You need to be clear and concise. If you're talking about abstract things, make sure people understand what you're saying. You may think you're making perfect sense when you have holes in your argument. Your job as the writer is to make it clear to the reader what you mean to say. Try not to be long-winded about it either.

2) Organize your ideas logically and use paragraphs. So make an outline for your essay with all of the content you plan to include. This helps you see how to organize the paper.

3) Have an intro and conclusion. It's just a good idea.

4) Include examples that show that you can relate TOK to your personal life. That means that you can [and should, in my opinion] be a part of some of your examples. I used a couple of anecdotes for mine. Okay this is veering more into content...

5) If you're using a source, cite it in a separate Works Cited/Bibliography page.

6) The title of your paper should be the prescribed title verbatim. That's what my teacher said, anyways. You shouldn't change the title at all, and your paper should completely answer the title you've chosen.

7) For the title page, I put name, school name, IB candidate number, and the session [May 2010 for me]. You can change that around. Doesn't really matter.

• Like 1