Topic Deleted by the Author

Guest NicoleMarie

I haven't read the book, but I can tell you that you need to give more information for us to help you. What sort of ideas do you have already, and what are you strong at etc. You need to say more than "please give me everything you know", because that isn't something that welcomes any help.

Guest NicoleMarie

Ok, first of all I don't have time to give you more information. My topic should be all you need. Trust me, Thats all I have to work with. How can I give you anything more than what I have?

Second of all, to help me, you'll need a pretty good understanding of the work. So if you haven't Read either Chronicle of a Death Foretold or Crime & Punishment you can't help me. This is probably why you said I didn't give enough information. Sorry, but I can't zap the information into your mind, though I wish I could.

What I'm really looking for is little things I can build off of. For example, say you see that my topic is The use f Disturbing Imagery in Crime & Punishment and Chronicle of a Death Foretold. You ask yourself what every sensible person asks themselves when working with literary devices: What is the effect on the reader? You then decide that disturbing Imagery in Crime and Punishment often evokes pity in the reader. You tell me your observation, and I decide if it helps me.

Or, say fore example you have read the book, Crime & Punishment and you see that I am writing about Imagery and an excerpt with extensive use of imagery comes to mind. You briefly describe it to me, "There was alot of imagery in the part when Raskolnikov was having the dream about the Mare" And I decide if I can incorporate it into my Essay.

Or you can just tell me random things you remember about the book which you think I should know, such as theme.

You could say "Oooh, do a paragraph about how Imagery used to foreshadow horrible things to come."

See, There are a number of ways in which you could help me using only the information I have given you. I'm not saying "Tell me everyhting you know." Thats just stupid. What I am asking is "Tell me anything you happen to know or remember about the use of disturbing imagery in Chronicle of a Death fortold that you think would be important to consider while writing an essay about it." I think that sounds a lot narrower.

If I had all the time in the world I would have gone out of my way to make that perfectly clear from the start. But since it would probably involved writing more than tewo lines, I have decided I have no time. Two lines will have to be good enough.

Edited by NicoleMarie

Guest NicoleMarie
i read cdf (great book) and my topic was the use of death references in cdf and in the twilight years., but i would have to look at my old notes before i could tell you anything coz i wrote my paper last year.

is there anything specific you wanted to know?

I'm not exactly sure right now. If I think of something I'll let you know. <_<

These are questions I absolutely must answer in my essay: What is the purpose of the author's in using such graphic details?

What is their intended effect on the readers and how does that fit with the overall meanings of the works?

One question I need to answer in my essay is WHY the authors use disturbing imagery. So far I've come up with a few reasons, The authors seek to make readers who are part of a society feel uneasy. In CDF, Readers are meant to see that while the Society viewed Bayardo as the Victim of the story, The true victim is really Santiago. Sort of saying "It is wrong to kill someone for honor and this is why: There is no way of knowing what really happened. You could risk killing an innocent man." Or something like that. Putting this in IB language is the tricky part.

Moving on to more specific things. I've noticed that the authors both use disturbing imagery to forshadow Murders. In CDF, the cook in Santiago's household guts a rabit violently in front of Santiago and throws them to the dogs. The same happens to his body hours later.

Graphic details can creat sympathy wherever the author wishes.

Thats all I have right now.

Any other ideas?

I'm not exactly sure right now. If I think of something I'll let you know. <_<

These are questions I absolutely must answer in my essay: What is the purpose of the author's in using such graphic details?

What is their intended effect on the readers and how does that fit with the overall meanings of the works?

One question I need to answer in my essay is WHY the authors use disturbing imagery. So far I've come up with a few reasons, The authors seek to make readers who are part of a society feel uneasy. In CDF, Readers are meant to see that while the Society viewed Bayardo as the Victim of the story, The true victim is really Santiago. Sort of saying "It is wrong to kill someone for honor and this is why: There is no way of knowing what really happened. You could risk killing an innocent man." Or something like that. Putting this in IB language is the tricky part.

Moving on to more specific things. I've noticed that the authors both use disturbing imagery to forshadow Murders. In CDF, the cook in Santiago's household guts a rabit violently in front of Santiago and throws them to the dogs. The same happens to his body hours later.

Graphic details can creat sympathy wherever the author wishes.

Thats all I have right now.

Any other ideas?

you pretty much said what i remeber fromt he book. i alos remeber that becasue of the 1st few words of the book, the author begins building suspense. the reader is already awar that santiago is going to die so there is no supense int hat, what the reader really wants to see is the graphic muder of satigo, and as the book goes onthey want to see it more and more.

when you know what you need, message me and i'll send you my email adress and then you can email them to me. i check my email more thatn i check here. good luck.

Guest NicoleMarie
you pretty much said what i remeber fromt he book. i alos remeber that becasue of the 1st few words of the book, the author begins building suspense. the reader is already awar that santiago is going to die so there is no supense int hat, what the reader really wants to see is the graphic muder of satigo, and as the book goes onthey want to see it more and more.

when you know what you need, message me and i'll send you my email adress and then you can email them to me. i check my email more thatn i check here. good luck.

I thought of something specific. Marquez describes the murder on many pages. I need to know each one.

I've read the book! it's amazing, I love it :P

honey what you need is a thesis, what exactly are you trying to say the point of the writer using all those distrubing images is? personally I think it's to overdramatize santiago's death because the narrator was a close friend of his, and since we're reading the story in a first person narration it could be said that the writer's bias is evident in the narration.

some of the good examples you can use are the image of the rabbit's guts being chucked out by the maid ( I forgot her name :( ) in the beginning when he was having his breakfast before he died... how it's paralleled to his death shortly after... and the use of pig knives by the brother's to butcher him. I think the fac tthat they used butcher knives further emphasizes the horridness of his death. i mean he wasn't just murdered he was butchered!

that's really from the top of my head :D I really should stop crasting and go do my essay :D