can i have both A level and IB qualification?

If you sit the exams for both the IB and your AS/A2 Levels, yes you can.

I don't think it's that great an idea as your IB grades will (probably, depends how amazing you are!) suffer as a consequence of taking the A Level, and vice versa. It's really not necessary to take A Levels alongside (indeed taking them in the same subject is entirely pointless as they largely cover the same stuff) and as a University, Cambridge are cool with IB students. I know plenty of people who did IB and are now at Cambs. for all different subjects and at all different colleges, so there's really no reason to take the A Levels if you're already doing the IB. All you're doing is making your IB diploma harder, your life more stressful, your time more full and your grades therefore potentially lower! I don't know who told you Cambridge are more likely to accept A Level students, but from what I know, that is not the case -- although of course they'll have more A Level applicants as more people do A Levels who apply! They do ask for high predicted IB grades, so your time is better spent getting and achieving those grades than trying to do another course.

• Like 1

thanks, i think i have no problem learning ib and a level at the same time. the thing is my school only offer ib, if i want to do a level, i have to teach myself which i think i am able to, but will they allow me to entry the exam, will the school offer me? also, i already finish half of the syllabus in a level, and by this end of the term i will finish them, can i have a a level exam in the end of the year 12 instead of year 13??

thanks, i think i have no problem learning ib and a level at the same time. the thing is my school only offer ib, if i want to do a level, i have to teach myself which i think i am able to, but will they allow me to entry the exam, will the school offer me? also, i already finish half of the syllabus in a level, and by this end of the term i will finish them, can i have a a level exam in the end of the year 12 instead of year 13??

Your school must be a registered centre for you to sit the exams, so you'll have to ask them. You can take an A Level all in one year, doing AS and A Level simultaneously to my knowledge, yep, you just have to make sure you take the modules in the right order. Again, you'd have to ask your school. I don't know what you're doing your A Level in, but remember you'll also have internal assessments (I can't think of a subject without one) and will need to arrange to have those marked somehow. All in all, ask your school and they should direct you. We can't help you here.

Although, just to add, I do think you received some bad advice to start with.

Neither an IB Diploma nor an A-levels Certificate can get you a seat at Cambridge or Oxford, but it is the grades that you get in the end, which matter!

My mate is going to Cambridge from next school-year. She is predicting to get around 40+ points and she is from China! (I know it is not quite surprising, lol)So yeah, it is not about the type of pre-university course that you choose but it is about your performance and academic skills.

I prefer you stick with your A-levels programme because it is relatively easier and the prospects of bringing good grades is also quite high in A-levels, given the fewer number of subjects you take.

Edited by Afghan Pride