concerns for slow teaching in TOK

Eydie

My TOK teacher is funny and nice, but he repeats himself all the time - I've heard him saying 'I would like you to include 3 items in your journal per week' and 'examiners hate cliches' like 20 times already and it's only 5 weeks into IB1. So far he let us read a chapter from the textbook and we haven't gone beyond the first page of it in class. We only have one and a half hour of TOK each week, which also include EE and CAS talks.

I am a little worried that we'll not cover all the stuff in time. Should I get the course companion or something? Is this usual for a TOK teacher?

I wish he could just hurry up.

Don't worry. TOK should not be a problem. The TOK course does not include a lot of hard facts and 'real' knowledge.

It's about broadening your horizons :D

Your assessment:

1. TOK presentation

2. TOK essay

That's all.

If you happen to have problems with any of these, just sit down one evening and read the syllabus. It really is self-explanatory and very helpful if you aim high :)

And try not to be the first one to deliver a presentation. Learn from the mistakes of others :)

• Like 1

Yeah TOK doesn't really have a syllabus or anything at all, so whether your TOK teacher is slow, fast or even mostly absent, you should be fine. Just a bit bored, possibly! Getting the textbook probably won't help you because TOK isn't really a subject. Eventually your teacher will discuss something to do with ways of knowing and areas of knowledge and THAT is the point at which you listen. Anything beyond that is superfluous anyway, so no worries! :study:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

eydie dont worry..!! tok is a subject which is usually taught at slow rate,,!! tok has loads of philosophy and learning philosophy takes time so ur teacher might be teaching slow..!! but u can go ahead... u can read the tok book..! and then start thinking abt ur tok essay topic and start working on it..!! good luck..!!