Computer Science Extended Essay Help

DJ CAS

Hey everyone...

I was hoping for some help with my Extended Essay. I have chosen Computer Science (don't ask why)...

My topic is based on the implementation of Java in Mobiles and its effects. One of my friends told me that it was too ITGSie.

I was hoping whether somebody could help me and guide me to a particular area I should discuss or analyse.

On this forum, as far as I know, we are not allowed to give you a topic itself but instead we can help you determine how good/bad your topic once you present it to us. So, if you can be a little more specific on what your topic actually is, we can help you.

I suggest you look at the guidelines for Computer Science in the Extended Essay Guide http://schools.4j.lane.edu/ihs/ib/essayfor2009.pdf - that'll help you see what they're after!

Often, the ethical and social effects of the topic chosen will be important and may well have a part within

the essay, for example, in the conclusion. However, an essay that makes these considerations a major

focus is not appropriate and would be better submitted as an information technology in a global society

(ITGS) essay. An in-depth analysis of trends and advances in computing should include aspects of the

theory of computer science, which would necessarily demonstrate a high degree of technical knowledge

and understanding.

That might be what your friend was pointing out, and is taken directly from the guide. It should help you determine whether your topic is suitable or not :P

Yeah, Sandwich is right.

I did my Extended Essay on Computer Science as well, and my supervisor told me the same thing. Your extended essay may very well include some discussion on the social effects of the topic you chose, but it should by no means be about the social effects, or else it would fall into the ITGS category.

So, you can do an essay on the implementation of Java in Mobiles, and you can talk about, for example, how Java has changed games in mobiles and how this may or may not have affected mobile users. However, your essay should not concentrate on this. If your essay will concentrate on the social effects of the implementation of Java in mobiles, then it would be better off as an ITGS essay. For a computer science essay, you can still mention this in the conclusion or somewhere in the body, but your main focus should be on the technical aspects of the implementation of Java. Believe me, there are a LOT of technical aspects you can discuss, you just have to find the right one that interests you.

If you really want to do a Computer Science essay on this, then find the right computer science-related topic to discuss about Java and mobiles, and don't focus on their effects on society. When you choose one, tell us and we'll tell you if its good or not.

Edited by Redstar

Hey guys...

Thanks a lot for all your help, replies and feedback.

I have a question. I have been told by many people (my supervisor, examiners etc.) that I am supposed to analyse my topic and put my own analysis in the essay. I am very confused as to what this means. What am I supposed to analyse in particular reference to my topic?

The Body 1 of my EE so far is as follows.

The evolution of mobiles can be seen through each of the generations that have been produced. The weight of mobile phones in the 2nd generation (2G) fell drastically to about 100 - 200g from its initial weight of 40kg. This was due to improvements in batteries and electronics. The 3rd generation of mobiles phones brought about TV and video services that increased its popularity hundredfold. The phones were even able to connect to the Internet. A 4th generation of cell phones has been predicted to arrive in the future which will bring cheaper phones with high data transmission speed.

The first phone call that was made with a cell phone was by Dr. Martin Cooper in April 1973. The phone weighed 2.5 pounds and had enough battery for 35 minutes of talk time. It took 10 hours to recharge the phone and had no display. It could only be used to make calls and to receive calls. No other features were available .

Hey guys...

Thanks a lot for all your help, replies and feedback.

I have a question. I have been told by many people (my supervisor, examiners etc.) that I am supposed to analyse my topic and put my own analysis in the essay. I am very confused as to what this means. What am I supposed to analyse in particular reference to my topic?

The Body 1 of my EE so far is as follows.

The evolution of mobiles can be seen through each of the generations that have been produced. The weight of mobile phones in the 2nd generation (2G) fell drastically to about 100 - 200g from its initial weight of 40kg. This was due to improvements in batteries and electronics. The 3rd generation of mobiles phones brought about TV and video services that increased its popularity hundredfold. The phones were even able to connect to the Internet. A 4th generation of cell phones has been predicted to arrive in the future which will bring cheaper phones with high data transmission speed.

The first phone call that was made with a cell phone was by Dr. Martin Cooper in April 1973. The phone weighed 2.5 pounds and had enough battery for 35 minutes of talk time. It took 10 hours to recharge the phone and had no display. It could only be used to make calls and to receive calls. No other features were available .

Well you're meant to be answering a question. Meaning no offence, but what you've written so far sounds like the overview from a Wikipedia article (!). The Extended Essay isn't like an extended project, it's a proper formal piece of 'research', if you'd like, similar to what you might perhaps do at university. It should be challenging and thought-provoking and put together new ideas to come up with a unique and preferably individual (or at least individually proven) conclusion based on what you've discussed throughout the essay.

I would also add that it's a really bad idea to post segments of your EE online as the IB have quite complex ways of working out if you've copied it from somewhere thanks to websearches. You might look as if you'd plagiarised your own EE if it was found online!

Unless your EE is a definitive statement such as "proving X is happening because of Y in D circumstances", if it doesn't have a question mark at the end of your research question, you may find yourself running into difficulty. Before proceeding you should really thoroughly read the guidelines and some examples essays to make sure you're on the right track. What you've written so far is nothing more than an overview and might possibly be allowable in an introduction, but definitely not the body of an essay.

Well, it would depend on what aspect of the implementation of java you're analyzing. Simply saying the "implementation of Java" is too broad, since there are lots of things you can look at.

For example, if you were to choose "the advantages and disadvantages of implementing Java in mobiles" (a topic which I don't encourage, since analyzing advantages and disadvantages of programming languages is TOO easy, since a simple google search can give you the answer), an easy way you can add your own personal analysis is programming your own cell phone application or game using Java, and from this you analyze the advantages of disadvantages. It's a personal analysis because you're making your own program, and you're using that which you created to reach your own conclusion. But once again, simply "advantages and disadvantages of a programming language" is too simple a topic.

And, as Sandwich said, the segment of the EE you posted doesn't seem like it would fit in the body since it is just an overview of the history of cell phones. Maybe in the introduction. Also, if your entire EE is simply a description of HOW java has been implemented in the past and in modern phones, then I don't think that can be considered as a Computer Science extended essay.

Edited by Redstar