English A1 EE: Alice- Through the Looking Glass

idIB

Hello,

I am writing my EE on the book Through the Looking Glass (and what Alice found there) by Lewis Carroll. I need a little help formulating my research question.

I have two ideas already:

1) the use of diction/language to develop Alice's character

- I haven't found too much to write about on this one, but my mentor thinks that there should be a lot to say on this topic

2) the theme of identity loss/ appearance vs reality

- I know that this is a very prominent themem in the book and there are many examples to draw from, but I haven't figured out what to argue in my thesis/ essay

Which topic is better/ should I do? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! XD

Hello,

I am writing my EE on the book Through the Looking Glass (and what Alice found there) by Lewis Carroll. I need a little help formulating my research question.

I have two ideas already:

1) the use of diction/language to develop Alice's character

- I haven't found too much to write about on this one, but my mentor thinks that there should be a lot to say on this topic

2) the theme of identity loss/ appearance vs reality

- I know that this is a very prominent themem in the book and there are many examples to draw from, but I haven't figured out what to argue in my thesis/ essay

Which topic is better/ should I do? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :P

I'm jealous of your book choice!! Personally, I'd opt for #1 because although you're going to have to dig a little bit deeper in the novel, that's exactly what the markers want you to do. For the 2nd option, it would be very easy to demonstrate how prominent the themes are, but it seems like the evidence might be so blatant and broad that it will be hard to find a unique angle without repeating yourself, especially since identity loss/appearances vs. reality have been discussed in almost every other book. I think diction and language could get very interesting..To start, I'd recommend finding a few different elements of Alice's character, and then dissecting the text to see how certain variances in the writing, can contribute to her many facets.

I'm not sure if that's any help! And I'm a bit biased, as the majority of my own EE was based on text/narrative and how it defined the characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to disagree with spaceisland and say that I'd go for #2. You could talk about the different ways the theme is developed and how it informs Alice's character, or the message of the book, perhaps? That would give you a lot of room for critically analysing literary techniques and seeing how they work, if they work and why they work.

Whichever one you choose, there is a lot you can do with it, I think. Good luck!