converting a curve to a line

kristers

Alright, so,

I graphed some data from an experiment and the points resembled a rational relationship between the variables, i.e., a curve fit would produce a curve resembling a rational curve.

I needed to find a line of best fit in order to calculate the gradient so I changed one axis to "1/x" when originally it was just "x".

This produced what I needed; the data now lined up linearly and the program fit a linear fit perfectly.

My problem is, I need to include error bars on my graph, but I am unsure of how the uncertainty would be converted when I did this with my graph..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not 100% on this, but if you had your errors for X and you changed X to 1/X, should your error bars not be indicative of 1/Errors for X? O:

no, that can't be right, my error is less than one so 1/error gives an error bigger than the actual quantity!

maybe I have to do something with Percentage uncertainty? idk..

I mean error for x, rather than error. So you work out what your maximum possibly x value could be and your minimum possible x value, given the error, and then put 1 over those...? Then have them as your error bars.

Just an idea, I'm not sure if it works :angel: Sorry if that's what you'd done already.