Classical languages

Guest julz_90

hi

I was wondering whether there's anyone around taking any classical language (latin, greek and that stuff). I took latin SL because it was compulsory in our non-IB school programme anyway, and since our teacher is really good I decided to take it as IB subject (the alternative would have been french... nothing against it, but our teacher has no idea about IB...)

anyway, believe it or not, but as IB subject latin has turned out to be surprisingly easy... in a mock exam I got 45 out of 48 points :lol:

cool... :lol:

I hadn't hoped to find anybody interested in latin... I actually quite enjoy it, though I think ab initio would probably be quite annoying. when you start learning latin, you have to study a damn lot of grammar and vocabulary. I went through that the first two years, then you have the necessary background and you can start reading the more interesting stuff. now I'm in the 6th year of latin...

anyway, my subject combination is quite unusual. I don't think there are a lot of people doing maths HL and latin at the same time... and I suppose the IBO doesn't think so either, as they put the latin paper and the maths HL paper 3 at the same time on the exam-schedule... my teacher had to write to them to ask if they could change it :innocent: found that quite amusing :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

gosh latin must be great for studying english sat words though. i can tell it must really help, too bad we have a latin program here but it isn't offered to the IB kids, gah or else i would join. We only have the romantic languages here french and spanish :lol:

• 2 months later...
Guest superman3429847

I go to annandale high school, and Latin is available for us as an IB elective. The only thing is it is down right boring, and our teacher is horrible so we have not learned one thing. When we take mock tests, our translations are ridiculously sub par, so unless you have a good latin department, do not take it! It is a boring language

• 3 weeks later...
Guest quisquis

Hm, I'm not sure whether there is Latin ab initio, I thought Latin was excluded from this A / B / ab initio system and was just a Classical Language with either SL or HL. But I'm too lazy to look it up now.

In our school (which happens to be the same as julz_90's school...the world is small, isn't it?), the Latin department is traditionally quite strong, well, it's no surprise, as for the (parallel) Swiss 'Matura' everyone has to take two years of Latin and still many students (as in, more than a third, iirc) take another four years of Latin and then had six years of Latin....

What is more, our current Latin teacher happens to also teach Latin at university which is really noticable in his course.

Last but not least, if you take Latin you bet you'll have a small class. And small classes make per se for a better learning environment ;-)