English: Comparing Silmarillion with Redemption of Althalus

snowscar

Well, I'm currently in IB1 and trying to start working on my EE just to be prepared in time for the summer.

I have decided for the topic which is to be about the powers of creation in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Simarillion", and in David Eddings's "The Redemption of Althalus". With the Powers of Creation, I mean a closer look on the two myths of how each world was created, and who was responsible for doing it.

For example: In Silmarillion you have Illuvatar, and the creation of the life-giving music. Whereas in the Redemption, you have the three siblings: The Creator, The Keeper, and the Destroyer.

What I'm asking is whether you think it is a good topic, and, if anyone has read both of them, would know any good similarities and important differences which I could analyse in them. Or do you think it is a too broad question, in that case, what could I do to narrow it down?

My research topic question is written like this:"How are the Powers of Creation described in [i]The Redemption of Althalus[/i] by David and Leigh Eddings in comparison with J.R.R. Tolkien’s [i]Silmarillion[/i]?"

So what I thought was to compare how Tolkien describes Illuvatar, and what kind of relationship his Valar has. With Melkor being the destroyer and bringing dissonance in the Music. And in the Redemption, one compare what relationship the three gods have, and how their world is built up.

But to bring in an analytical view in the essay, one might need to look in to how innovative each creation theory are in comparison with our existing religions.

Maybe that would work?

You could do that, but then you're not really exploring literature (in my opinion) but you're exploring concept.

"How are the Powers of Creation presented in The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings in comparison with J.R.R. Tolkien’s Silmarillion?"

That might be a better title, because then you're bringing it back to literature and the novels and authors themselves, rather than exploring something very interesting but perhaps not entirely on topic for an A1 EE. It seems perhaps more like a cross between philosophy and english, otherwise, and EE people want your response to the book (e.g. how the author uses X character or X thing to symbollise evil, how effective that is and then the other author). Otherwise you're not really comparing the literature-aspect of two novels to each other, but rather the concept of creation in different settings (especially if you consider bringing in real religions). I think it's fine to talk about creationism in both of them, actually quite fascinating, but you should definitely try to keep it to how the author presents/interprets something in comparison with the other author. Basically, if I were you, I'd set myself a title which is guaranteed to ensure I wouldn't stray from the path of language/lit analysis and into the more interesting but less relevant realms of general discussion and comparison of creation itself.