English A1 HL IOP

Samra

Basically I have a (sort of) topic: I'm doing Jane Eyre,
1. Religion vs Love in Jane Eyre
2. St. John Rivers ( in terms of religion, love, morals)

something like that...see, my topic is kinda going in a million directions, and I'm just not sure if I'm doing it right. My teacher looked at it a little and said that I was making it too formal, like an essay..so should I make it really informal? Like I'm talking? And people keep talking about literary devices..should I incorporate those? My teacher hasnt said anything abt that.. I'd like to include a few bits on how St. John is 'hard and cold' (If anyone here's read the book, if they remember, Bronte 99% of the time uses 'cold, hard, ambitious, reserved', when she describes St. John)
And quotations!! I actually have a LOT of useful quotations, but my teacher said I shouldnt use too many of them...how many is ideal?

I have to present this Thursday :)

Read the marking criteria!

Literary devices are necessary if you want to score more than 1-2/10 for interpretation & personal response. I would only quote in places where you're trying to pick out a literary device, if I were you.

[url="http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:5LCY3_w1cNUJ:homepage.mac.com/seanpenney/planbook/4283/Nov042008/Assessment%2520Criteria%2520-%2520oral.pdf+assessment+criteria+interal+assessment+oral+component&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a"]http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:5LCY3...lient=firefox-a[/url]

Read that :(

I agree with sandwich.

Also! I don't think you should make it "really informal"; there is a criterion called Presentation or something like that which is concerned with how structured your presentation is: it should be effective and persuasive for the higher marks, unless I'm completely misremembering. That said, you may want to not sound as though you're reading an essay out loud: make sure that you're using spoken English and not speaking written English (yeah, there's a difference). Further, making the presentation less formal may make you lose the mood of formal language, which is BAD. Make sure to speak correctly using appropriate, advanced and varied vocabulary (and idiom).

Good luck. :(

As for as I remember, the IOP was like an essay. The only difference was that you were speaking rather than reading. You need to incorporate the same things: an intro, a good argument, well supported by quotes, incorporate literary features, a conclusion etc. What you wanna try to do is exactly what Hyperbole said: use spoken English, not written English. Also, making it entertaining/interesting so that the class/your teacher doesn't fall asleep is always good. I also had to leave some time at the end for questioning by my teacher, somewhat like the IOC. As long as you pick a good topic (narrow enough so that you have time to talk about stuff in detail, not so narrow that you don't have enough to talk about), it should be fine. Again, just don't read/be monotonous- that's not good :( .

Best of luck :)

[quote name='Samra' post='40549' date='Mar 16 2009, 02:39 PM']Thanks. :( I get what you guys are saying about balancing the formal/informal. I guess I'll keep it essay-ish but not be monotonous. Thanks a bunch :D
Honestly what do you think of the topic though? If anyone here's read Jane Eyre :P [/quote]

I was going to comment, having also read the novel, but it occured to me that I don't even remember a character called St. John Rivers!!! Except for square Mr Rochester, insane Mrs Rochester, Jane and her consumptive sidekick, I seem to have blanked the man out.

You might find it easier to talk about (in my opinion) if you do a theme, rather than a specific character, simply because it gives you more content. Religion versus Love would be a good theme, provided you can find where it runs through the novel. I can only recall it being nearer the end, but that might be another example of my rubbish memory. Provided you definitely have enough to fill 15-20 mins!

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest that you closely follow the rubric (I attached a copy of it to this post just in case you don't have one)
I know it's suggesting the obvious but many people miss out on this and hence do not complete some of the required criteria while trying to go above and beyond what they should really get done.

No. I don't think that the IOP is supposed to be informal.
But, keep in mind that this is a presentation... so the structure is obviously different to the structure of an essay.

As far are literary analysis is concerned, look at the DIDLS file I attached.
I think it provides a pretty neat summary of literary elements.

Good Luck!