Question for all

Smileys

hi guy..

just a question

did any of u get into a uni for economics. as in a uni pretty well known

well apparently my teacher scared me as he said:

90% of unis in the world would only take people with math higher. (I only take standard and my predicted would be 5/6)

well i do econ higher and predicted to be 6/7

secondly,

which uni wud u recommend for journalism/media related courses?

and do they require english higher?

thanks xxx~

Even if they DO accept you with Maths SL, you'll have a fair bit of work cut out for you first year since univs will assume you have adequate mathematical knowledge. This is the case in the UK, at least. Most applicants have A-levels FM or IB Maths HL.

I'm not sure about US univs, but most Econ degrees require maths.

[b]Edit:[/b] I don't know if journalism [b]requires[/b] Eng A1 HL, but it's certainly recommended! Basically, if you want to get into a program, don't try to take the easy way out. :proud: Because there are tons of other candidates for top univs to choose from.

Edited by Irene

For US universities, you can get into a good school and do economics there even if you do SL. This is because admission decisions are not based on what you intend to study. Many applicants have undecided as their major and you would not be disadvantaged in the admission process if you do Maths SL. That being said, Wharton (arguably the best for econ) only accepts Maths HL (7).

What Irene said is spot on, you will have trouble in an economics program in the States if you only do Maths SL.

SL Math is not that much easier than A Level Mathematics, so you'll be fine with it for the UK. You can get into LSE to do Gov+Econ and AccFin with SL math, so it isn't impossible. I have an offer to do Financial Economics at St Andrews with SL Math.