TOK and Math

Julian

Math is a tool that we use daily. However there are some areas of math which dont follow the rules we are accustomed to. Im trying to find an area in which i can talk about that involves TOK and would be a good topic for discussion. I have thought about statistics and how we can never be reallt accurate with our measurment and calculations but other ideas would be helpful.

Calculus? It's gets really abstract... but in the end it miraculously works :argh:

No, it doesn't. Integrating only gives you an estimate. Also, using calculus for stuff like velocity and acceleration doesn't work perfectly. Look into the study of quantum physics and stuff like the uncertainty principle if you want to understand it :help: .

No, it doesn't. Integrating only gives you an estimate. Also, using calculus for stuff like velocity and acceleration doesn't work perfectly. Look into the study of quantum physics and stuff like the uncertainty principle if you want to understand it :) .

The whole point of integration is to give you an accurate representation of the area under the curve. It is not an estimate, it is the real deal. If you wanna estimate the area under the curve, use trapezoids XD

We are not accustomed in daily life to use complex numbers. In fact, your probably will never use them, unless you go into Pure Mathematics. As for "rules we aren't accustomed to", find an example where the math is counter-intuitive...there's bound to be a few.

Math is a tool that we use daily. However there are some areas of math which dont follow the rules we are accustomed to. Im trying to find an area in which i can talk about that involves TOK and would be a good topic for discussion. I have thought about statistics and how we can never be reallt accurate with our measurment and calculations but other ideas would be helpful.

try looking up the golden ratio and seeing to what extent the info in that is valid!

I'm not the math expert, but I remember doing the golden ration in math for tok...

• 3 weeks later...

How about : is math a language?

Or if that is not original enough talk about how we use inductive and deductive logic in maths and try to determine which is more important or just talk about proof using induction and how that can be fallacious and how amthematicians assume it is true.

you can also talk about Pi and how it was created and how that ties in with any maths today and relate this to TOK in some way.

Or ethics and imaginary numbers could be interesting too.