Their Eyes Were Watching God

Tarz

I just wanted to say that I hate this book. I don't know if any of you are reading it, but it's a huge pain in the ass because all the dialogue is written in ebonics :/ Anyone know a good way to find an e-book of it and auto-correct it? :P

Omg, I hated that book. I only got through the first chapter. Then I just read sparknotes. We had to do two speeches compairing that book and a couple of others, and I got an A on both of them. Just be sure to listen to your class if they discuss the book! And focus on womanhood. Or finding your identity. Good luck getting through that book if you choose to read it.

Try e-book. You understand ebonics when spoken, no? That was half my middle school experience =P.

Haha :) same here. I read the dialogue faster than normal writing. I was the only reading all of it for the class, and I got people coming up to me during lunch. "do u know what this is?"

I actually love the book. Try really hard to understand the concept that is relayed across about African-American Culture. Once you understand that, then the language is essential.

• 1 year later...

Well, actually I was okay with the book. After the first one or two chapters I was reading it as if it was my mother tongue. What was much-much-much harder for me is "One hundred Years Of Solitude". It was horrific! I mean, I liked some of the characters, but the language and the way of the narration itself were created to make a life of an IB kids worse.

HL: Russian A, English A, Economics A

SL: Biology, French ab initio, Mathematics

TOK/EE: Russian lit

The ebonics has an effect. Don't find another copy and try to figure it out. It characterizes, it sets a setting, it characterizes the whole culture itself...those 3 were off the top of my head...

You're going to be missing stuff when you try to analyze anything if you find a "translated" version. Bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Guy's this thread was long dead. Please don't revive old threads. If you want to discuss this topic once again create a new one as the members who started this aren't on here anymore :P.

don't revive old threads please! no warning this time as content wasn't really spammy. Thread locked though.

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: Revived old thread

If you disagree with this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

IB Survival Staff