Weird tok assignment? need help

Donny Josh

I know this sounds stupid but for an assignment i have to disprove gravity pulls us down to earth, that ice melts, and that heaven exists. People in my class had to write down 3 of their beliefs and then they got passed around and we have to disprove them. So any thoughts how i can about it?

We did something similar. Use the Areas of Knowledge and Ways of Knowing. The whole point of the exercise is to let you see that nothing is concrete, and that you can't take things for granted in TOK. It's been really long since my TOK course (we took it last year), so I can't give you direct answers.

I'll give it a shot.

[quote]gravity pulls us down to earth, that ice melts, and that heaven exists[/quote]

First of all, always change the definition to suit your purpose :(

[quote]gravity pulls us down to earth[/quote]
For something to be true, it must be true for everybody at all times (and there was one more condition..). It is not true because somebody doing a hand stand will observe that gravity pulls us up to earth.
[quote]ice melts[/quote]
Ice does not melt in the fridge. Point proven.
[quote]heaven exists[/quote]
The burden of proof is on the one making the claim. The claim is that heaven exists. I have the benefit of assumption. It is safe to say that it does not exist unless somebody has proven that it does, and that is clearly not the case.

[quote name='Donny Josh' post='39404' date='Mar 7 2009, 02:12 PM']I know this sounds stupid but for an assignment i have to disprove gravity pulls us down to earth, that ice melts, and that heaven exists. People in my class had to write down 3 of their beliefs and then they got passed around and we have to disprove them. So any thoughts how i can about it?[/quote]
By newton's law of gravitation, there is an attractive force between earth and us. That means that the earth pulls us down. If the earth is what is pulling us down, and we can show that there is no extra force at work, then gravity does not exert a force on you (being a concept and not a thing) and therefore does not pull us down to earth.

Ice remains as ice unless energy is supplied, and thus the natural state of ice is to not melt, and the hypothesis that all ice melts is flawed.

If heaven exists, then there are people in heaven. But people are not perfect, and thus heaven cannot be perfect, as there are people there. But, an afterlife would not be perfect without other people. Therefore, there can be no perfect afterlife and heaven does not exist.

*shifty eyes*