Group 4 subjects as an EE ? advice ?

hanz

I am really confused about my EE ! and i really want to do it in Biology or Chemistry! but i had no advice ! people told me its hard and hard to get a C ! :D i really love chemistry and biology and would love to use as my EE ! but can anyone give me a sample for an EE on Biology or Chemistry ? and advice ?
appreciate it !

Haha, I'll give you mine when I graduate. Anyway, I did mine in Bio... I took SL but it didn't really matter. It's a hella lotta of work anyway, and I wouldn't wish that kind of hell on anyone. :)

BUT if you think you're up to it - pick a GOOD mentor. That's really key! And also know that there'll be a high probability that you don't know what the **** you're doing or wtf the results mean. What a nightmare.

You can make it enjoyable though. It's just my experience wasn't so fun. :D

Edited by Irene

There are sample EE topics in the EE guide. After reading that, you need to figure out an experiment, carry it out and interpret it. Historically, Group 4 (and math) EEs haven't gotten high grades (at least in my school). This doesn't mean you can't get a high mark in this type of an EE. Just pick something you're interested in and that you can measure and find a good advisor. You'll figure it out from there.

Do something you love. If that's chemistry or biology, do your EE in one of those subjects. Otherwise you'll get bored, and you won't do as well. Also, make sure your EE is experimental, because EEs in the sciences that are experimental always score better than theoretical EEs.

Thanks everyone ! really appreciate it ! and yes i do love Biology, and im willing to die 4 it and work hard its my favorite ! but the problem is i dont have a very good supervisor =[ but if i will do about biology, i am thinking about doing my topic about botox... like experimenting it interviewing doctors and patients... its advantages and disadvantages.. and what it contains. and u know !

Thanks Again !

From what I've gathered (I was going to do a group 4 EE but then decided not to because the supervisors are rubbish) it's best to do a particular targeted experiment. Interviews aren't really scientific data because they're not quantifiable, and similarly listing advantages and disadvantages isn't quantifiable-- what it contains is chemistry.

It sounds interesting, but you might want to double check that it definitely has the potential to get good marks with the IB as an EE. They are VERY picky for group 4 subjects when it comes to marking, and it would be a shame to spend so much time on something and then not do well on it ]:

You need to make sure it's VERY Biology-centred and preferably has some very specific data sets.

Also, being honest, your supervisor ends up being very important, because it's a huge task to have to do by yourself. If you have a crap supervisor, you'll really regret it-- before you take on a Bio supervisor, ask them what sorts of marks people have got with them in previous years, is my advice. Make sure you're not setting yourself up for difficult times!

[quote name='sandwich' post='40049' date='Mar 12 2009, 03:05 AM']From what I've gathered (I was going to do a group 4 EE but then decided not to because the supervisors are rubbish) it's best to do a particular targeted experiment. Interviews aren't really scientific data because they're not quantifiable, and similarly listing advantages and disadvantages isn't quantifiable-- what it contains is chemistry.

It sounds interesting, but you might want to double check that it definitely has the potential to get good marks with the IB as an EE. They are VERY picky for group 4 subjects when it comes to marking, and it would be a shame to spend so much time on something and then not do well on it ]:

You need to make sure it's VERY Biology-centred and preferably has some very specific data sets.

Also, being honest, your supervisor ends up being very important, because it's a huge task to have to do by yourself. If you have a crap supervisor, you'll really regret it-- before you take on a Bio supervisor, ask them what sorts of marks people have got with them in previous years, is my advice. Make sure you're not setting yourself up for difficult times![/quote]

ahh yes i am afraid of my supervisor being rubbish =[ and i am afraid if working so hard on it and ending up not getting the mark i wanted. but i got admit its one of the best and most interesting things to do EE on biology. anyways thanks for the advice XD