Help with EE in Math History: the origins of the golden ratio(phi)

Nina426

I am doing my EE in Math history, my research question is: When was phi first used, and were those who used it aware they were using it? Or rather, like the language learning device, is phi something that is built into our aesthetic sense of “beauty”?

My essay essentially traces the development of phi, and shows how/when it was used in early architecture and art in different societies (Babylonia, Egypt, Greece, etc.). I also talk a bit about how it is used today in art. I try to draw similarities between all the uses (i.e. phi was often used to build religious monuments or buildings). I basically conclude that phi was, and still is, used primarily unconsciously because it appeals to our human sense of beauty.

Is this a topic the IB would like? Is the research question too broad/narrow and did I answer my research question well enough with my arguments? Also, I'm afraid that, even though it is in math history, my essay probably lacks actual math (there are a couple of simple proofs, and of course descriptions of phi, but that's about it). Anyone have any ideas on how I could add more math, or make it more appealing to the IB?

Any comments or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! This is due soon, sadly. Thanks so much!

[quote name='Nina426' post='37184' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:49 PM']I am doing my EE in Math history, my research question is: When was phi first used, and were those who used it aware they were using it? Or rather, like the language learning device, is phi something that is built into our aesthetic sense of “beauty”?

My essay essentially traces the development of phi, and shows how/when it was used in early architecture and art in different societies (Babylonia, Egypt, Greece, etc.). I also talk a bit about how it is used today in art. I try to draw similarities between all the uses (i.e. phi was often used to build religious monuments or buildings). I basically conclude that phi was, and still is, used primarily unconsciously because it appeals to our human sense of beauty.

Is this a topic the IB would like? Is the research question too broad/narrow and did I answer my research question well enough with my arguments? Also, I'm afraid that, even though it is in math history, my essay probably lacks actual math (there are a couple of simple proofs, and of course descriptions of phi, but that's about it). Anyone have any ideas on how I could add more math, or make it more appealing to the IB?

Any comments or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! This is due soon, sadly. Thanks so much![/quote]

Sorry, one more question! Should this be in Math History or Math Beauty? I asked my adviser, he's not sure either.