Bio EE =)

biochem

Topic:

"The effect of temperature on the Bioluminence of the (Bioluminecent Fungi)"

So might need a little more twikking, but that is the basic concept.

Summary:

Since Bioluminence is initiated by an enzyme, Lucrifase I believe, my thoughts are to develop an EE linking the effects of temperature on the growth, production and development of a Fungi I have yet to specify. not sure which one would be most feasible, since they are endemic to regions like Australia and Brazilian Rainforest. But my thought is since an enzyme initiates the reaction, I could make a connection or isolate the temperature at which the enzyme would denature and cause the fungi to stop producing light, impeding its production (since it is thought that the pores are dispersed during the night through various insects). So, the temperature goes up, the enzyme dies, the pores dont get dispersed and the already rare fungi faces another challenge in its harsh environment (wind limited to disperse pores, cause they are located on the ground, surrounding a plethora of other plants). Also, like most of you already know, there is an optimal temperature at which the enzyme reaction would fall best into. Another great connection to make. all of these links are appropriate in an EE correct? Isn't that what they want us to do, make these connections based on our research which leads to more questions/research?

I am going to be measuring the temperature of course, at different intervals, mostly deviation from the local temperature where the fungi is found. So if it is 30*C locally, do 15*C 25*C - 30*C - 35*C, 60*C.

Measuring light intensity using some precise measurement of Candela units.

Is there anything else which I should be testing, I mean is everything so far sufficient. Someone brought up that its too narrow, but in actuality, the topic suits me cause I write 6,000 word essays for Chem Lab all the time without even paying attention, just pouring out my thoughts on paper. So with much focus and micromanaging, I am looking at a very developed EE I think.

Please give me any of your thoughts, I would love to hear them. all help is appreciated :]]

[quote name='biochem' post='36282' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:48 PM']Topic:

"The effect of temperature on the Bioluminence of the (Bioluminecent Fungi)"

So might need a little more twikking, but that is the basic concept.

Summary:

Since Bioluminence is initiated by an enzyme, Lucrifase I believe, my thoughts are to develop an EE linking the effects of temperature on the growth, production and development of a Fungi I have yet to specify. not sure which one would be most feasible, since they are endemic to regions like Australia and Brazilian Rainforest. But my thought is since an enzyme initiates the reaction, I could make a connection or isolate the temperature at which the enzyme would denature and cause the fungi to stop producing light, impeding its production (since it is thought that the pores are dispersed during the night through various insects). So, the temperature goes up, the enzyme dies, the pores dont get dispersed and the already rare fungi faces another challenge in its harsh environment (wind limited to disperse pores, cause they are located on the ground, surrounding a plethora of other plants). Also, like most of you already know, there is an optimal temperature at which the enzyme reaction would fall best into. Another great connection to make. all of these links are appropriate in an EE correct? Isn't that what they want us to do, make these connections based on our research which leads to more questions/research?

I am going to be measuring the temperature of course, at different intervals, mostly deviation from the local temperature where the fungi is found. So if it is 30*C locally, do 15*C 25*C - 30*C - 35*C, 60*C.

Measuring light intensity using some precise measurement of Candela units.

Is there anything else which I should be testing, I mean is everything so far sufficient. Someone brought up that its too narrow, but in actuality, the topic suits me cause I write 6,000 word essays for Chem Lab all the time without even paying attention, just pouring out my thoughts on paper. So with much focus and micromanaging, I am looking at a very developed EE I think.

Please give me any of your thoughts, I would love to hear them. all help is appreciated :]][/quote]

It sounds like you're really interested in this project which is great! I'm like you in that I can go on and on in science papers, too. I'm not familiar with the Bioluminecent Fungi...is it something that you can purchase in large quantities for your study? I would recommend talking to a college professor or some experimenter who has knowledge in this field--someone who would be a good judge of whether your experiment will be successful.

My adviser is a Biologist who is widely published. She has said that this is at her level of study, so I am quiet excited because not much impresses her. she knows everything lol.

The Fungi is somethnig I would have to go through several trials, and I have found it at a feasible price <3 But the overall experiment will cost me, um, loads. eek. But still doing it :]
the Fungi is quiet rare and under studied, which was my attraction to the topic, since my adviser rejected anything not 100% original.

So far, I actually have 2 advisers, and both of them have several degrees in science and are intrigued by the topic and my the results. so thats very encouraging!