DP and MYP program at a public high school

irenesme

The Diploma Program that I am currently in is located within a public high school located in what is considered a kind of "ghetto" in what is known as one the worst cities in the United States.

Next year, however, they are thinking about expanding to include an MYP program within the high school.
That would mean that there would be 6-12 graders coming from around the city to attend the IB program along with the 9-12 graders that are attending the public high school.

The program is isolated from the regular program so if you take an IB class then you are full IB, and that has led to some animosity from the students in the regular programs toward IB students in general. Personally, I have never had any problems and love the IB program where it is at. I've never seen any IB students involved in fights or doing illegal activity.

Yet, many parents are strongly objecting to putting the MYP program at my high school because of issues of the location, general safety, and fear that the younger students (6th and 7th graders) will be bullied by older students. Other arguments that have sprung up (which I don't really see any basis) is that the IB program gets a huge cut of the school district budget, that the teachers are racist, and that the program is a majority white (completely not true for example in my senior class of 32, there are only 4 white people).

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion about instituting an MYP program withing a public high school context. Good idea or bad?

As far as I can tell from my MYP program (at an international school) the program its self isn't really that different from what they would be doing anyway, it teaches you to BS at and earlier age thats all. However; I do think its a good Idea to have the DP at public high schools. As an international student I think most people can manage IB, I do not feel it should be a program reserved for only the best students. I personally would like to see more public schools only offer IB or at least not advertise as a program for only the best students. 98% of my school does the IB diploma, and there is a minimal selection process. Anyone whose parents or parents company can afford it comes and does IB, almost regardless of academic achievement.

[quote name='irenesme' post='36147' date='Feb 9 2009, 01:28 AM']The Diploma Program that I am currently in is located within a public high school located in what is considered a kind of "ghetto" in what is known as one the worst cities in the United States.

Next year, however, they are thinking about expanding to include an MYP program within the high school.
That would mean that there would be 6-12 graders coming from around the city to attend the IB program along with the 9-12 graders that are attending the public high school.

The program is isolated from the regular program so if you take an IB class then you are full IB, and that has led to some animosity from the students in the regular programs toward IB students in general. Personally, I have never had any problems and love the IB program where it is at. I've never seen any IB students involved in fights or doing illegal activity.

Yet, many parents are strongly objecting to putting the MYP program at my high school because of issues of the location, general safety, and fear that the younger students (6th and 7th graders) will be bullied by older students. Other arguments that have sprung up (which I don't really see any basis) is that the IB program gets a huge cut of the school district budget, that the teachers are racist, and that the program is a majority white (completely not true for example in my senior class of 32, there are only 4 white people).

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion about instituting an MYP program withing a public high school context. Good idea or bad?[/quote]

My school is very similar to yours. The DP program is at the high school with the lowest standardized testing scores to help pull up the average because most of the general population of the school fails these tests. The downside is, of course, the IB kids are pretty much isolated within their special curriculum and the rest of the school doesn't particularly like the IB program. The IB kids use all the paper in the printers, they have the biggest backpacks, and no one ever asks them for a hall pass. Sadly much of it is a racial boundary since the IB kids represent a variety of racial, religious, and socio-economical backgrounds, while the rest of the school's population comes from the surrounding area which supports lower income families.

The MYP program for the county is at a middle school, but it's in the exact same situation as the high school...it's one of the worst middle schools. Some parents won't let their kids be part of the IB program just because they feel the schools are too dangerous. It's sad, really.

[quote name='heartworthy' post='36324' date='Feb 10 2009, 06:05 PM']My school is very similar to yours. The DP program is at the high school with the lowest standardized testing scores to help pull up the average because most of the general population of the school fails these tests. The downside is, of course, the IB kids are pretty much isolated within their special curriculum and the rest of the school doesn't particularly like the IB program. The IB kids use all the paper in the printers, they have the biggest backpacks, and no one ever asks them for a hall pass. Sadly much of it is a racial boundary since the IB kids represent a variety of racial, religious, and socio-economical backgrounds, while the rest of the school's population comes from the surrounding area which supports lower income families.

The MYP program for the county is at a middle school, but it's in the exact same situation as the high school...it's one of the worst middle schools. Some parents won't let their kids be part of the IB program just because they feel the schools are too dangerous. It's sad, really.[/quote]

Wow, you ARE in the exact same situation as us.
Even with the printer, backpack, and the hall pass issue. >_<

We are getting heat for "racial" issues too which I don't really understand because the majority of the IB program is made up of people who are the same race as the people from the regular attendance area.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='irenesme' post='36147' date='Feb 8 2009, 10:28 PM']The Diploma Program that I am currently in is located within a public high school located in what is considered a kind of "ghetto" in what is known as one the worst cities in the United States.

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion about instituting an MYP program withing a public high school context. Good idea or bad?[/quote]

What's up with the negative attitude about our community and city? Harsh words ("one of the worst cities in the US") about the city we live in. I'm perfectly content living in that, according to most, "ghetto" community, and I am glad to have a free, open-enrollment IB program in the area. It would be even more beneficial to expand the existing program into the MYP division. In Fiji, to attend the primary and school that offered the IB Programme, you had to pay school fees of up to $20,000 per child. To me, its unbelievable that the MYP program they're trying to implement is even a topic of debate! Also, those fears of being bullied are irrational, when noone so far in the program has been attacked. If they're afraid of 6th-8th graders in IB attacking each other, that shouldn't be a problem. If certain 6th-8th graders' maturity levels aren't at the point where you can trust them not to attack and bully each other, then they shouldn't be in the program to begin with.