Calcium Carbonate Experiment

heartworthy

I'm doing a lab where we basically have to disintegrate calcium carbonate with an acid. We are allowed to use chalk rather than limestone or marble, but I was wondering if anyone had a better acid to use than vinegar or lemon juice :/ I was thinking something like sulfuric acid would be awesome to use, but it doesn't seem like something you can easily make in the lab. Any suggestions?

Hydrochloric acid? That's like, a staple acid in chemistry so every school should have it. :( Acetic acid works too but since it's a weak acid, the rxn won't be as vigourous as HCl.

I think I'll use this. The experiment is for acid rain and I'm pretty sure that I can relate HCl to it, right? I'm thinking classical statues were made of marble...explosions in volcanoes (like Pompeii :( ) emit gasses such as hydrogen chloride into the atmosphere causing acid rain...when the statues are rained on they can deteriorate as shown by the reaction

whew! what do you think?

I think I'll use this. The experiment is for acid rain and I'm pretty sure that I can relate HCl to it, right? I'm thinking classical statues were made of marble...explosions in volcanoes (like Pompeii :( ) emit gasses such as hydrogen chloride into the atmosphere causing acid rain...when the statues are rained on they can deteriorate as shown by the reaction

whew! what do you think?

Sure, that could work. :( Can't you just state that rxns between carbonates and acids are all similar so it doesn't matter what acid you use? The important thing is that rxns between carbonates and acids deteriorate and consume the carbonate. In real life, this would have a negative effect on any items containing carbonate e.g. like you said, statues.

Sure, that could work. :( Can't you just state that rxns between carbonates and acids are all similar so it doesn't matter what acid you use? The important thing is that rxns between carbonates and acids deteriorate and consume the carbonate. In real life, this would have a negative effect on any items containing carbonate e.g. like you said, statues.

Yeah that sounds good. I'll talk about the reactions and then use the volcanoes thing as an example. Thanks!!