What is the best way to study and memorize all information for an end of year exam, or any exam in general?

I started the year with good grades thanks to high grades in classwork, and case studies. However, in my end of year exam for Diploma 1, I got a surprisingly low grade. Any recommended methods of studying that would be best to use to memorize all my notes (I have an average of 50 pages of notes per unit).

On 8/3/2019 at 12:13 AM, Taha_1 said:

I started the year with good grades thanks to high grades in classwork, and case studies. However, in my end of year exam for Diploma 1, I got a surprisingly low grade. Any recommended methods of studying that would be best to use to memorize all my notes (I have an average of 50 pages of notes per unit).

Hi,

First, please be aware 'memorization' is a poor way to condense and synthesize information; however in many IB DP subjects it is necessary! I suggest the tried and true 'review when it's new' method: every day, highlight and review the days' notes; review those notes 3-5 days later, weekly, and again every week to 2 weeks, making notes, more highlights, connecting previous notes and finally condensing it all in your own words monthly. It takes time, but it will pay off when you are sitting in a hall with a pen and sheets of blank paper only! 

By way of introduction, I am a former DP English Lit and ToK teacher, university counselor, MYP/DP Coordinator and principal of IB schools. I now work full time to support students such as yourself, with the DP, essay writing and university counseling.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

Cheers,

Rob