HELP! Clueless on how to approach my experiment to measure amounts of caffeine

Chelleee

ahhh, i should be panicking but for some strange reason im not.
im starting 2nd yr ib and frankly, IM STUCK!
my subject for ee is bio and not only did my topic crash and burn, but my 2 backups did as well.

topic #1: comparing the effects of caffeine derived from coffee beans to guaranine
this crashed and burned because they're THE SAME THING

topic #2: whether different types of coffee beans have an impact on the short term effects of caffeine
this could have worked except im not exactly sure what procedures i should use to actually figure out the amount of caffeine in the beans in the first place - any ideas on how to proceed with this idea, please tell.
as for the experimentation i was thinking reaction times.

topic #3: is fluoride really a poison?
most of the research done on fluoride is on humans, if i was to conduct an experiment it would be on PLANTS. major risk factor = considering the amount of "equipment" i have available aka my dodgy school lab because my ee teacher failed at getting us access to uni labs, aside from observations of what happens to the poor plant, i cannot come up with a way to test for the amount of fluoride within the plant (eg. leaf samples or something)
and then, how would i link my findings to the human body? or should i leave it to: it being a plant killer kind of thing...

see the brick walls? if you could provide me with a bulldozer for any of them, PLEASE DO! ILL LOVE YOU FOR IT.

so now, im pondering on the option of proving that the darwin theory of evolution is WRONG (i have access to legitimate evidence). the problem is that this topic is incredibly controversial and im not sure if i should approach this topic at all. and even if i do, theres no experimentation involved...unless i go and measure the ratios of a human bone/skeletal structure and compare it to the data out there for primates.
opinions please?

THANK YOU! :(

Edited by Chelleee

ok, aside from the lack of replies, i managed to get feedback from a grand total of [b]2[/b] people!! yayy.

i have decided to go along with finding the [b]amount of caffeine in coffee beans [/b] :D (topic title will be changed - initial planning stage)
my problem is:
how/what kind of procedure should i use to acutally find the amount of caffeine?
i've never done anything like this at all and frankly, im CLUELESS - cant get in contact with my bio ee supervisor. so im in great need of help considering how far behind i already am!
any tips/suggestions will be much appreciated!!

Edited by Chelleee

[quote name='Chelleee' post='34709' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:44 PM']ok, aside from the lack of replies, i managed to get feedback from a grand total of [b]2[/b] people!! yayy.

i have decided to go along with finding the [b]amount of caffeine in coffee beans [/b] :D (topic title will be changed - initial planning stage)
my problem is:
how/what kind of procedure should i use to acutally find the amount of caffeine?
i've never done anything like this at all and frankly, im CLUELESS - cant get in contact with my bio ee supervisor. so im in great need of help considering how far behind i already am!
any tips/suggestions will be much appreciated!![/quote]
Not to be rude but how is that a Biology EE? Sounds more like Chemistry to me. Anyway, your chem teacher should be more knowledgeable about the extraction method than your bio teacher. I'm assuming that's what you're aiming for... extraction and finding the amount?

[quote name='Irene' post='34717' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:29 AM']Not to be rude but how is that a Biology EE? Sounds more like Chemistry to me. Anyway, your chem teacher should be more knowledgeable about the extraction method than your bio teacher. I'm assuming that's what you're aiming for... extraction and finding the amount?[/quote]

originally i was planning to link the amount of caffeine and then calculate average intake and then link it to short term and long term effects which would occur varying on how much of a specific type of coffee...

BUT, i did discuss with my bio ee and he told me that i should pursue the fluoride one :rofl:
so basically for now ill be working on that one instead @___________________@

thanks heaps for replying though, if i do end up using this topic, at least ill know which teacher to ask :ok: !

just so you know, my EE advisor is my Bio teacher who is an internationally published biologist, and she said that the BIO EE topics should be something not done before. Its an investigation into the unknown, where the reader can automatically predict the results through biological terms, or in some really great cases;), have no idea what to expect.
for example, IB directly states that there is no need to do a topic on the allotropes of carbon, since the topic has been thoroughly covered. Caffeine while it does have some mysterious healing agents linked to brain-related diseases, it is throughly already researched.

A good bio topic EE check I was told to employ is: google it!

If it shows up, dont bother :/

Best of luck on your EE :yes:

[quote name='biochem' post='35030' date='Jan 29 2009, 04:07 PM']just so you know, my EE advisor is my Bio teacher who is an internationally published biologist, and she said that the BIO EE topics should be something not done before. Its an investigation into the unknown, where the reader can automatically predict the results through biological terms, or in some really great cases;), have no idea what to expect.
for example, IB directly states that there is no need to do a topic on the allotropes of carbon, since the topic has been thoroughly covered. Caffeine while it does have some mysterious healing agents linked to brain-related diseases, it is throughly already researched.

A good bio topic EE check I was told to employ is: google it!

If it shows up, dont bother :/

Best of luck on your EE :yes: [/quote]

oh wow, thats some REALLY interesting advice o____________O
mm i wish i could be that creative but my time frame doesnt exactly seem to be going in my favor (1st draft = due in 2 wks = AHH PANIC PANIC!)
but, ill keep ur advice in mind when i begin to design my experiment ^_^
thanks!