Kitchen (yoshimoto) and Thousand Cranes (Kawabata)

I have to compare the characters Mikage, Yuichi, Eriko, Satsuki and Hitoshi from Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto with the characters Chikako, Mrs. Ota, Fumiko, The Inamura girl, Kikuji and Kikuji's father from Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata.

This is in preparation for my world lit essay.....

If you only know one of the books then please give me character thoughts and analysis on just the characters you know.
Thanks!! :angry:

I think you should be giving this some thought initially.
Simply, giving you an analysis wont do much good, because you must be able to develop a through analysis yourself that expands on the initial ideas. And quiet frankly, you cant expand on ideas that are not yours.
so a better question would be to come up wiht ideas, and see how well they qualify with other people.
I would be happy to help you with Kitchen. It is my favorite book and I understand it very well. I have some hidden messages, that a friend went over in her IOP.
so lets have a book discussion once you formulate a course of thinking and purely, your own thoughts :angry: best of luck! :P

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Dolphin Grrl' date='23 January 2009 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1232689382' post='34366']
I have to compare the characters Mikage, Yuichi, Eriko, Satsuki and Hitoshi from Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto with the characters Chikako, Mrs. Ota, Fumiko, The Inamura girl, Kikuji and Kikuji's father from Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata.

If you only know one of the books then please give me character thoughts and analysis on just the characters you know.
Thanks!! XD
[/quote]

Hey I'm currently doing my World Lit. on something similar. However, my thesis focuses on how natural images represent characters between kitchen and thousand cranes. Let me know if you have some sort of idea. Like the other guy said, we can't help you when you don't have a firm idea or plan.
Otherwise, I'd be happy to help :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Dolphin Grrl' date='January 23, 2009 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1232689382' post='34366']

Thanks!! XD
[/quote]

Your WL idea sounds a little broad...too many characters! Maybe focus on the techniques that both authors use to develop characters (narrow it down to three) and compare how effective they are in developing certain characters? I think you need a bit more focus and a narrower question.

I absolutely loved studying Kitchen (I was the only person in my class who did, really). I found Mikage very relatable, and the feelings of bereavement so accurate. On a sidenote, Satsuki and Hitoshi are not part of Kitchen, they are part of Moonlight Shadow which is a short story that comes AFTER Kitchen. They're not part of the same tale so I would strongly recommend not including Satsuki and Hitoshi in the same essay as Mikage and co.

Hope this helped!