IB english IOP help!

smonkey7

Help me! I have an IOP due this week, and I'm very nervous.

I just need help from ppl who have done it. What to do, and what not to do.

My IOP is on The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison, within, the characters, Claudia Macteer, and Maureen, the white chick.

And also on Their eyes were watching god, by Zora Neale Hurston, with the characters, Tea Cake, and Logan. I hope you can help!!

I just need tips, and hopefully some links or suggestions on how or what I can do/say.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Memorise your speech, you can still have your notes with you but memorising everything will make you way more confident.

When you give the presentation, make elaborate gestures and eye contact, sit/stand up straight and show confidence even if you are lacking it. These gestures will help you and the teacher connect to what you are saying and the more the teacher is convinced that you are confident in what you know or at least seem to be, the better grade they are going to give you!

I finished mine the other day.

Good luck!

You must include literary technique! I know it feels dorky standing there and analyzing a work in a speech, but you must include this component, and don't leave out how the form of your work contributes to the point you are trying to make (even if you need to take some poetic license). When you speak, put emotion into what you are saying. Although your teacher will probably focus mostly on your content, a well presented idea can make it sound much more appealing than a bland and melancholy masterpiece. Look through your syllabus at the marking criteria. Highlight the most important points and make sure what you write is in accordance with the highest achievement level! Remember that you are not just talking on an issue, you are arguing a point! And that means you need backup from the text! Incorporate quotes! Integrate them into your sentences so you don't sound stupid (but can also demonstrate to the teacher that you are quoting, using the 'inverted comma's' hand gestures [Think Troy McClure]). Just like in an essay, you cannot simply state something, no matter how obvious, and leave it like that! QUOTES!! Incorporate the major themes in relation to your topic and present it differently. You are NOT reading a report! Be Creative! Make sure you say or do something mildly shocking/engaging to draw your teacher in! People are far less critical of what you are saying when you are enthusiastic and they are riveted (remember Hitler?). Use your facial expressions and CARE about what you are saying. Lastly, don't forget to research your author! You need to know why they wrote the book, what political/religious alignments they had etc, so that when your teacher asks you questions about 'why the author did this' you can answer with reasonable confidence that will not undermine your (hopefully) fantastic presentation! Good Luck!

Make sure you look back at the rubrics that your teacher is basing his/her grading on and see if you can score the best score on all of them. Also, make sure that you indicate a knowledge of the works that you are analyzing and make sure you comment on the literary elements present in the works. If you don't do either, your chance of getting a high score is grim. Oh, and memorize your presentation as someone mentioned before. And most of all, don't be nervous!!! You need to show that you know what you're talking about 100%.

good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rehearse rehearse rehearse till your familiar with it.

personally i haven't done mine (doing it next wk :D)

but my teacher says just practice in front of your mirror till you stop feeling like an idiot, which indicates that your confidence has kicked in.

make sure you know exactly what your talking about but don't memorise or else half the time you'll end up reciting it like a robot.

just make yourself familiar with it, feel confident - trust me, if you know it well you will ^^, take deep breathes and just go with the flow. don't worry, the teacher's on your side so just do the best you can.

p.s- don't rely heavily on notes, you should be able to speak without awkward breaks using only quotes as references or a few notes - notes, not blocks of text whacked onto a ppt (powerpoint).

good luck!

rehearse rehearse rehearse till your familiar with it.

personally i haven't done mine (doing it next wk ^_^)

but my teacher says just practice in front of your mirror till you stop feeling like an idiot, which indicates that your confidence has kicked in.

make sure you know exactly what your talking about but don't memorise or else half the time you'll end up reciting it like a robot.

just make yourself familiar with it, feel confident - trust me, if you know it well you will ^^, take deep breathes and just go with the flow. don't worry, the teacher's on your side so just do the best you can.

p.s- don't rely heavily on notes, you should be able to speak without awkward breaks using only quotes as references or a few notes - notes, not blocks of text whacked onto a ppt (powerpoint).

good luck!

Exactly what she said. It is very important to rehearse. A major part in doing the IOP because it's a presentation and you are required to be somewhat creative. You must be confident in what you're saying. This can be done by rehearsing. Practicing in front of the mirror is one thing but if you present to your classmates before hand, it really helps. If you feel confident, you'll get a high grade for sure. It's all about the confidence in your piece, it ties into everything. Like if you write a good speech, then of course you'll be confident (just rehearse!!). If you write a bad one, then rewrite it, not only will it be a bad speech but you won't have the energy and confidence to speak well. SO REHEARSE IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!! Till IT'S ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

Exactly what she said. It is very important to rehearse. A major part in doing the IOP because it's a presentation and you are required to be somewhat creative. You must be confident in what you're saying. This can be done by rehearsing. Practicing in front of the mirror is one thing but if you present to your classmates before hand, it really helps. If you feel confident, you'll get a high grade for sure. It's all about the confidence in your piece, it ties into everything. Like if you write a good speech, then of course you'll be confident (just rehearse!!). If you write a bad one, then rewrite it, not only will it be a bad speech but you won't have the energy and confidence to speak well. SO REHEARSE IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!! Till IT'S ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

Thanks guys. ^_^ But I just did mine last Friday... The problem was, the teacher wasn't allowed to nod or shake her head at what I was saying, so I just kept looking up and being more and more discouraged, even though I apparently knew what the passage was about. Btw, I got Hamlet. :) Haha I knew I would, guh.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the following things in mind while preparing for your IOP and you should be fine : )

- Pay very close attention to the rubric to ensure that your IOP fits all the criteria that your teacher will be evaluating you on (I've attached a copy of the rubric to this post just incase you don't have one)

- Try to memorize your content. However, be careful with this one because you do not want to sound monotone. If you are unable to memorize it or are more comfortable with reading it out, make sure that you have a pretty good idea about what you're going to say when... plus, make cue-cards - don't hold a huge sheet of paper right in front of your face... also, make eye-contact with both - the teacher and the audience

- Visuals/Powerpoints are a good idea... however, do not use them if they are not going to significantly enhance your presentation... if you do decide to use those make sure that all the equipment runs well before your presentation.

Good Luck!

IOP_Rubric.doc