Extended Essay Questions

topnotch5

What are some good topics you think of from the subject area History? apparently anything with the bermuda triangle isn't going to work ;)

What all goes in the contents page? Nothing that is actually in the essay right?

You are supposed to give a title and a research question? The title goes at the top of the paper right?, so where does the research question go?

Thanks and please help me out.

Edited by topnotch5

Find something in history that you`re interested in.. if it`s only the bermuda triangle then I suggest you do another discipline ;)

As for your other questions here and later, I strongly suggest you find a guide to writing research papers.

Edited by eblake

[quote name='eblake' post='30770' date='Dec 20 2008, 06:12 PM']Find something in history that you`re interested in.. if it`s only the bermuda triangle then I suggest you do another discipline ;)

As for your other questions here and later, I strongly suggest you find a guide to writing research papers.[/quote]

So you're sure the Bermuda Triangle won't work?

And it'd be nice if you could just answer my questions here. I'm a senior and have written research papers before, it's just been a while. The title obviously goes at the top of the page but I'm not sure what the difference between that and the research question is. Maybe they go together I dont know. Please help me out.

[quote name='topnotch5' post='30773' date='Dec 20 2008, 06:17 PM']So you're sure the Bermuda Triangle won't work?[/quote]

I don`t know much about it. I assumed that you asked your supervisor and they said no.

[quote name='topnotch5' post='30773' date='Dec 20 2008, 06:17 PM']And it'd be nice if you could just answer my questions here. I'm a senior and have written research papers before, it's just been a while. The title obviously goes at the top of the page but I'm not sure what the difference between that and the research question is. Maybe they go together I dont know. Please help me out.[/quote]

Example RQ: to what extent can the notion of liberty in Ayn Rand`s objectivism be considered libertarian.
Example title: two views on the notion of liberty

The difference is that the research question is concrete and specific and has no bias. Your title can either hint at your conclusion or be a general description of the content of your paper, like the example above.

For formatting, if you have a title, you can either have both it and the RQ on your cover, or just it alone.
For mine I didn`t bother coming up with a separate title. I just had my research question on the cover page. So whatever floats your boat.

Also, Tables of Contents page includes only the names of your sections and page numbers.

Edited by eblake

Just throwing it out there, but I think you may want to consider thinking about doing your History EE in an area from the History IB Syllabus so that way all the research you will be pouring into your 4000 word paper will actually be something you can use later on.

I have not personally done a lot of research on the bermuda triangle, but I think it may be difficult to find an aspect of that topic to analyze. You will also need to find some good sources, this may be difficult for a topic like that. But with all that said, if you feel that doing an EE on the bermuda triangle will help you out on your IB exam, and that you will be able to find sources and make an analytical research question, feel free to do it. It really is your choice, and I think it is really important that you pick an EE topic that you love because you will be spending a lot of time on it.
\