Absent Pre-IB Biology Teacher

Conno

So, I'm only just starting the Pre-IB program, so this is all new to me. I'm concerned that my biology teacher will be on maternity leave until early next year, and our "substitute" has hardly been giving us any proper instruction in the subject. We're trying to get something done, but is there any way that myself and my peers could teach ourselves the subject? Is there any need to? Actually, could you explain the requirements/exams that we have to take in Pre-IB, too? I feel unprepared and nervous. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike MYP, pre-IB is not an official part of the IB. All of your requirements are local requirements and they differ from region to region, so you would have to ask your school about examinations, requirements, etc..

It is entirely possible to teach yourself a subject. There are tons of articles, videos, practice problems, etc. that are just a Google search away. See if you can get your hands on a textbook since the bulk of your lessons probably come from there. It just takes a little bit of dedication and discipline, don't let one teacher ruin your whole career. Good luck :)

• 8 months later...

I had the same situation happen to me </3 My SL Chemistry teacher left on maternity leave for the entire DP Year 1, so we basically were left to fend for ourselves.  By the time DP Year 2 came, we were a whole year's worth of material behind.   It's rough, but it's at times like that where you have to rely on yourself and others for help.  There are tons of sites and even practice problems from real IB tests w/ mark schemes that you can do with yourself and some friends.  Flashcards help too, and making a list of things you don't understand is also a good thing to do.  Maybe you could make a little group list for your class / friend group and work on those together as well?  My best advice would be to try your best and to keep yourself motivated!  It's super easy to fall behind, but don't let yourself get hit hard by pressure and anxiety.