IA lab help (refraction)

kongouuu

I am working on an IA about sugar and refraction. I failed a few times already and i really need  some help, here I'll talk about how i did the experiment, and see is anyone can help me:

I have a rectangular container made of glass ( 8cm/5cm), a laser pointer, water, sugar, and paper

I shoot the laser in at a fixed angle into the container, recording the incident ray and the point where the ray goes out
I predicted that when I add sugar, the refracted ray will bent more, but no matter how much sugar I added into the water, the ray always go out at the same place
Is it because the container is too small? or should I not use this way to test the refractive index?

1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sugar does not really do much. The liquid water is what causes the refraction alongside with the glass container. The sugar simply makes water more sweet and cloudy, it doesn't affect light as much, it would take a lot of sugar to affect it. I'm sorry but this experiment won't do well. 

But it can be altered. If you're keen on refraction, look at how different materials affect it, and the correlation. E.g. different types of glass, and maybe their masses. Dimensions. But I feel that refraction is too much of a closed ended topic, limiting your scope.

But you're centred around waves, so maybe diffraction with single and double slit experiments, perhaps in water or wave oscillation with the container can be helpful. More open ended with more variables to control and talk about. Sorry I can't be much more help