BIO HL HELP

Sophie S

I'm in IB Y1 and so far we've done Unit 1,2,4,5 (SL) and HL unit 9 and are working on 7.

So far, for bio I've found it really hard and struggle a lot. I can't seem to get more than 50% ish for any test and struggle on data answers, long answers the most. I spend about a decent amount of time studying but I still don't do well... Let me know if you have any tips on how to study smarter, not longer as I want to do well and am very determined. I thought it was just me and how I was struggling with IB in general but in math I got my 4 up to a 6 on one test so that went well, I can tell I'm understanding the content better but bio I struggle with a lot and can't seem to get good grades on the tests...

Hello there! I have studied Biology HL in my IB years, and I think you may need some guidance on how to revise for test. 

I have written something (very long) regarding how to revise for Biology for a lot of chapters (more of the topics will be in Year 2 of IBDP)

On 4/9/2016 at 10:47 AM, inriya said:

If you have an exam, jotting notes will be vital. Reading materials and fully understand it is the key to Biology HL 7. Let me give you heads up on what methods or strategies that you can use or might find this useful, don't be really stressed seeing all those names down there.(Each topic has different ways to combat)

Flashcard methods will be useful in these topics:

• DNA Transcription, Replication, Translation enzymes involved in all different reactions(HL)
  • Ecology (Domains, Kingdoms, Phylums, Classes for chordata [HL only], Phylums for plants ) **
    • To memorize all those classification, print out some pictures of animals, plants to have a fun game with
  • Mitosis vs Meiosis (diagrams especially independent assortment and crossing over)

Drawing method will be useful for: 

• Respiration (Kreb Cycle)
  • Photosynthesis  (Calvin Cycle)
  • Genetics (Also I will suggest finding some online practices to look at the genetic diagram, then doing punnett square)
  • Movement (HL)
  • Plant Science (Identifying Stem)

All the topics that I didn't mention above, try jotting down main points on papers, keep it in a binder / notebook and reread it in your freetime. My favorite Biology teacher also opens a platform for us to jot only 10 points for each topic, so we can remember it easily by rereading it before the exam.

Biology is not easy to score high, especially Biology Higher Level.

I will recommend in your first year of Biology, try to look at points and answer the amount of points (look at the mark and do know what and how long the answer should be). Moreover, I will highly recommend to revise prior to lesson, extremely useful in Biology. 

Hope it helps!