How to combine SL and HL material?

AdriannaXX

Hello guys.

I was wondering, how do you cope with combining SL and HL material? i find it annoying while making notes that SL part is in the front of the book, but for the HL material I have to look at the back of the book. I am asking about biology, but actually it may concern any subject. 

The chemistry textbook is structured in the same way. Personally, I find that the SL and HL sections don't really need combining, as the topics they concern are connected but can't necessarily be combined. In the event that they do, I would start off with notes for the SL part, and gradually lead it into the HL section so that I can clearly distinct the two sections yet be able to see connections between the topics.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter how you write your notes. There's no universal way to write notes and what I do might not be conducive to your understanding, and vice versa. Notes are dependent on you as the student. There are also some good tips online, but ultimately it comes down to what you feel is the most helpful and comfortable.

• Like 1

I personally like to do topics 1.x and 11 together, so that it smoothly translates between HL and SL in my notes. The book does it in a weird way, and I agree that the HL part being on the back is annoying. Ask your teacher (if they don't do it like that already) to cover the HL option straight away after SL part of the topic to avoid confusion. I know in some schools they first do all of SL before they do HL stuff, but maybe you still have the chance to persuade your teacher. 

For notes, it's all up to you tbh. Everyone has a different style; some use notebooks and some binders. I personally like to carry a very small, light binder for every subject to school with the current topic in it, and store the rest of my notes and handouts at home. This works the best for me though, as I know some of my classmates would hate having their notes and handouts that way. 

Cheers.

HL requires more knowledge and critical

SL Basic knowledge and critical

They are pretty similar, it's just SL doesn't do things HL doesn't like for eng SL uses a prompt for p1, but HL doesn't. Those are the kind of difference. Just focus on HL and be aware of the things SL doesn't do.