What universities should I apply to based on my PG?

eternallyscrewed

Hello! I will be starting my second year of IB this september and taking the May 2017 exam, and I am still unsure of what universities I should apply to. I wish to take English Literature with Creative Writing (preferably) or English Literature.

Here are my PGs: SL - 6 in Geography, 6 in Math, 6 in Chemistry. HL - 5 in DT, 6 in English Lit, 7 in Chinese B. 36 overall and 38 predicted with 2 bonus points (but I'm really not counting on them) Please bear in mind that I didn't do well in the actual mock exams but I usually exhibit good behavior in class so some of my SL teachers gave me 6's as they have high expectations, so I am worried that I cannot meet the predicted grades.

My homeroom teacher/CAS advisor suggests that I apply to "prestigious schools" in the UK such as Edinburgh, Durham and UCL. However, I'm worried that with my current grades I won't meet these schools' requirements (most require a minimum of 38 and have additional requirements). The only "prestigious" one I would like to apply for is Warwick, as it is my first choice. However, if I'm not accepted into Warwick, I am considering some "less prestigious" schools such as Reading (32 points with 5 in English) or Surrey (35 and 5 in English). Would y'all recommend I apply more to risky/prestigious schools or  to safer schools? And if any of y'all are studying at any of the above schools, feel free to comment on your university! I would love some insight. I have heard that Surrey is quite a good school. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, eternallyscrewed said:

I would do so, but unfortunately since I'm from Hong Kong, I can only apply to five schools in the UK!

Everyone can only apply to 5 unis in the UK. :P

Definitely DO NOT apply to universities whose entry requirements you don't meet, as you'll immediately go to the 'reject' pile. If you think you can't meet your predicted grades, apply to universities with lower requirements. I don't study at any of those, but Warwick is a great school, though I don't really know much about their English department. Just keep in mind it's a little bit in the middle of nowhere, not in a city. Maybe try to look at universities in the Russel Group and see if you meet requirements for any of those? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaby said:

Definitely DO NOT apply to universities whose entry requirements you don't meet, as you'll immediately go to the 'reject' pile. If you think you can't meet your predicted grades, apply to universities with lower requirements. I don't study at any of those, but Warwick is a great school, though I don't really know much about their English department. Just keep in mind it's a little bit in the middle of nowhere, not in a city. Maybe try to look at universities in the Russel Group and see if you meet requirements for any of those? 

Thank you Gaby! My official predicted grades come out in October after another mock but I think I'll go mostly with unis that have lower requirements :) and thank you for the recommendation of Russell Group universities, I'm looking at them and some of the entry requirements match my predicted grades! (P.S. I'm reading over your getintouni blog, it's very helpful!)

• Like 2

OMG

I was also thinking about taking either Creative Writing or Law, but Law was an option because Creative Writing is kinda risky course and I don't know I am kinda uncertain about it. Aren't you kinda frightened? I mean I wanted to be a writer or to spend my life writing even if for publishers to make some cash for my literary works.But I don't know writing is my passion but Creative Writing as a course would be too specific you know. People usually use the argument that I can write as I d like to without a CW course, like a lawyer who is also a writer. But I am still in the same position as you. Wow, it is really rare to find someone who wants to pursue wither Literature or something related to writing. Really happy with this!

I have 32 points and I am going for my 2nd year either... but most colleges ask like 30 points or 32 max for CW...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 5:26 AM, Richard Stifler said:

OMG

I was also thinking about taking either Creative Writing or Law, but Law was an option because Creative Writing is kinda risky course and I don't know I am kinda uncertain about it. Aren't you kinda frightened? I mean I wanted to be a writer or to spend my life writing even if for publishers to make some cash for my literary works.But I don't know writing is my passion but Creative Writing as a course would be too specific you know. People usually use the argument that I can write as I d like to without a CW course, like a lawyer who is also a writer. But I am still in the same position as you. Wow, it is really rare to find someone who wants to pursue wither Literature or something related to writing. Really happy with this!

I have 32 points and I am going for my 2nd year either... but most colleges ask like 30 points or 32 max for CW...

Hi and very sorry for the late reply! I went on vacation for a little while so I didn't have internet...and now I'm trying to catch up with everything in the last days of holiday :P

I am considering applying to 3 schools for creative writing and 2 for linguistics since they're both subjects I enjoy, btw :) of course, you can write without a CW course, but I think it will be helpful for a writer! Most schools offer Eng lit + CW though so you can still have other job options like journalist, teacher etc! If you like Law go for law though! Or split options between the two! And remember that what you study in uni isn't necessarily related to your job later in life, although ideally it is! 

On 16/8/2016 at 4:58 PM, Gaby said:

You can always try to apply to some that are above what you are predicted. The Uni I'm leaving for next month had requirements above what I was predicted!