Are there any contemporary/ relatively new RLS that can be used fro TOK presentations?

I'm relatively new to this and am seriously having a hard time understanding and applying KQ's. We have to come up with topics for the presentation, so i was wondering if someone could help me out? If I can apply real life situations, then maybe i can understand better. :D Or do you have any tips for grasping better?

Hi Barely-Surviving,

Interesting name! Let's hope you are doing better than that and aiming for good results!:rolleyes:

I see you've still got no answer to your question. I'm PMing because I'd like to see if anyone does. But I'll give you an answer, in the meanwhile.

The type of KQs will very much depend on your topic. What is your topic? 

As you probably already know, KQ stands for "knowledge question." The main thing is to show through your question is that you are enquiring about "knowledge" -- not about a topic or subject in particular, though you will of course be illustrating through specific topics and RLSs.

Here's an example I got from my tutor (yes, I had an online tutor, which made *all* the difference. Who doesn't struggle with TOK?) which involved investigating the origins of World War One. You could apply a number of questions to this topic, but only some will be KQs. Here are some example. Guess which ones are KQs 

- - "To what extent do emotions influence how we see the past?"

- "Who started the WW1?"

- "Did the assassination of the Duke Ferdinand start the war?"

- "How can we really know the origins of WW1?"

The last question comes close to being a KQ (it is a lower-order KQ, actually), the only trouble is that it applies to a particular topic (the origins of WW1). KQs are open-ended questions which are about knowledge, not specific to the topic. That is why the second-to-last question can not work as KQ, nor the second from the top. Only the first question is a first-order KQ. 

Does that help at all?

Edited by Blackcurrant

• 4 weeks later...