Writen Task 1 Short Story

So we are told to choose a text type

I choose short story because the teacher suggest so

the climax is based on the scene when Frederic Henry begs to God not to let Catherine die

the problem is that, our teacher said that the stuff we're writing can not be creative writing and has to show connection and coherence to A Farewell to Arms

one of my classmate wrote something like Catherine does not die at the end and got rejected

So I carefully base everything I write on the book

and it really feels like plagiarizing the whole freaking book

the only difference is I did not use ctrl c and ctrl v.

Is it normal to feel this way?

I feel like failing this task...

You know it is not marked on creativity, but on how well do you understand the book... You can be creative, but it should ALL be supported by the facts from the book that you refer to. For example, if a detail is not well explained in the book, or a situation is not told, but it is mentioned and you know it happened and you know some facts, then you can use this to build up the actual situation. 

Don't worry, there should be no narration, that is not understanding, so you should use your own barin here, just don't go away from the book, keep it all justified by quotes or details from the book.

Good luck!