Chemistry 2016 SL

JamVaun

3 hours ago, JamVaun said:

Now that we can talk about the Chemistry exams, how did everyone do? I do SL and found paper 1 alright but really struggled with Paper 2...

Hey! For me it was the opposite! I know i got like 18 right max in paper 1 as I found it quite hard compared to past ones I did, but actually found paper 2 quite easy, I expected a lot worst and fortunately nearly no organic chemistry! 

4 minutes ago, Malino said:

Hey! For me it was the opposite! I know i got like 18 right max in paper 1 as I found it quite hard compared to past ones I did, but actually found paper 2 quite easy, I expected a lot worst and fortunately nearly no organic chemistry! 

I think Paper 2 was actually comparatively easy, but I just struggled with the questions...I found that the questions asked were really specific to quite small topics... and i messed up the really basic mol and empirical formula calculations. The boundaries will be quite high tbh though, which doesn't really help me...

3 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

I think Paper 2 was actually comparatively easy, but I just struggled with the questions...I found that the questions asked were really specific to quite small topics... and i messed up the really basic mol and empirical formula calculations. The boundaries will be quite high tbh though, which doesn't really help me...

Yeah that's true! I had no idea of what the answer was for the pre combustion and post combustion sulfur oxide!! And also the one on the definition of oxidation.. :o 
But in the end if you think about it grade boundaries in chem SL are always quite low so I hope they won't go up too much

2 minutes ago, Malino said:

Yeah that's true! I had no idea of what the answer was for the pre combustion and post combustion sulfur oxide!! And also the one on the definition of oxidation.. :o 
But in the end if you think about it grade boundaries in chem SL are always quite low so I hope they won't go up too much

Ye im sure we didnt cover that in class, but I put removing as much sulfur from the used compound as possible and then adding a base as post combustive to neutralise (the answers were filtration and neutralisation so i think i got at least 1 mark) and oxidation i put loss of elctrons, which is right i think, thats the one question which I was confident was right. I foudn the last question, like what type of series are these compounds (A and B) and then i really struggled on the electron arrow configuration things

Guest SNJERIN
6 minutes ago, Malino said:

Not always. The grade boundaries are sometimes quite high as it is relatively easy to do well in chemistry SL. 

I actually found paper 2 to be way easier than the specimen paper that I have done in my mock exam. There was almost no question on the new added content in the syllabus. 

Paper 1, on the other hand, had some tricky questions. For example, the question about why real gasses deviate from an ideal gas at high pressure. In my opinion there were two possible answers. Both A and B could be considered correct. 

Guest SNJERIN
6 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

Ye im sure we didnt cover that in class, but I put removing as much sulfur from the used compound as possible and then adding a base as post combustive to neutralise (the answers were filtration and neutralisation so i think i got at least 1 mark) and oxidation i put loss of elctrons, which is right i think, thats the one question which I was confident was right. I foudn the last question, like what type of series are these compounds (A and B) and then i really struggled on the electron arrow configuration things

For the pre combustion method I mentioned that crushing the coal and wash it with water will remove the sulfur impurities from the coal. As for the post combustion I wrote something similar to what you just said, like reacting the SO2 with a base before releasing the gas to the environment. 

Edited by Haitham Wahid

5 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

Not always. The grade boundaries are sometimes quite high as it is relatively easy to do well in chemistry SL. 

I actually found paper 2 to be way easier than the specimen paper that I have done in my mock exam. There was almost no question on the new added content in the syllabus. 

Paper 1, on the other hand, had some tricky questions. For example, the question about why real gasses deviate from an ideal gas at high pressure. In my opinion there were two possible answers. Both A and B could be considered correct. 

Do you by any chance know the grade boundaries from last year??

Guest SNJERIN
Just now, JamVaun said:

Do you by any chance know the grade boundaries from last year??

I think my teacher said 75% for a 7 but for the rest I don't really remember. 

2 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

For the pre combustion method I mentioned that crushing the coal and wash it with water will remove the sulfur impurities from the coal. As for the post combustion I wrote something similar to what you just said, like reacting the SO2 with a base before releasing the gas to the environment. 

Ye my teacher said all methods that involve removing sulfur impurities that are scientific would be right....do you remember soem of the other questions, ive forgotten most?

Guest SNJERIN
Just now, JamVaun said:

Ye my teacher said all methods that involve removing sulfur impurities that are scientific would be right....do you remember soem of the other questions, ive forgotten most?

For paper 1 I do remember quite a few of them but paper 2, not really. All I do remember is that most of the questions were about Phosphorus and that silly TOK question on oxidation numbers ! 

1 minute ago, Haitham Wahid said:

For paper 1 I do remember quite a few of them but paper 2, not really. All I do remember is that most of the questions were about Phosphorus and that silly TOK question on oxidation numbers ! 

Oh ye, there was question on allotropes and for some reason I thought Bromine allotropes were Dibromine and Bromide, but realised when I had finished the paper what they wanted (carbon diamond graphene)...

6 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

and what was the tok oxidation q?

Guest SNJERIN
Just now, JamVaun said:

Oh ye, there was question on allotropes and for some reason I thought Bromine allotropes were Dibromine and Bromide, but realised when I had finished the paper what they wanted (carbon diamond graphene)...

Yeah, a lot of my classmates made the same mistake. They were thinking about any other allotropes in the given balanced equation. However, they actually were looking for either the allotropes of carbon or silicon. 

22 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

Well a 7 has never been over 78% so that isn't really high compared to other subjects.. 

1 hour ago, JamVaun said:

So I'm taking it that answering the allotrope as hydrogen is also wrong?

3 minutes ago, #teamnosleep said:

So I'm taking it that answering the allotrope as hydrogen is also wrong?

Not necessarily, you wont get both marks though. One allotrope of Hydrogen is Dihydrogen but theres is only one and its was asking for 2, so youll get one mark of you put dihydrogen

Guys, for the pre-combustion of sulfur dioxide question, will neutralizing with water (which can act as a base) count as correct? Also, for the chemical test for separating compound A and B, would distillation be correct?

Are you sure the grade boundaries will be higher this year?