Kite Runner IOP Topic

tim9800

Hey all,

I have my IOP coming up soon (in a month's time) and I've decided to do an analysis on Kite Runner, my topic being:

Amir's journey to redemption in Kite Runner

After I had a look at some other few 'stock' topics like an exploration of father-son relationships or an analysis on the theme of betrayal, I just don't think they don't appeal to me as much as the theme of redemption does.

The problem is, I'm not sure what to talk about, and even if I do have several points, whether the points will have substantial supporting evidence from the book without being spread across the entire text. For example, I started analysing and writing up a speech to 'test' the topic of father-son relationships, and I found that there were explicit sections of the book I could single out and milk quotes from (sorry for the disturbing analogy)

Furthermore, I'm also worried that my topic is too generic, that is, I seem to have some kind of moral obligation to either:

1. Choose a boring topic and present it creatively or
  2. Choose a creative topic and present it boring

Strangely enough, this is coming from the most boring and practical student of the entire IB candidature (no kidding), but if it weren't for the criteria in the IOP notification saying:

B Presentation: audibility, eye contact, gesture, effective use of supporting matieral

then you wouldn't be here pondering moral dilemmas of gravest urgency.

Simply put: how do I get marks in that criteria if I'm not a person of the creative sort?

Help from someone who has done Kite Runner as a text or just general advice would be appreciated, but if you are sitting in front of a laptop screen cringing, I wouldn't mind that either

Edited by tim9800

Criterion B isn't actually that difficult - it's just about basic presentation skills and the 'creativity' of your topic isn't a big deal.

If you want to do it in the most practical way, use a Powerpoint presentation appropriately (ticks off the effectively use of supporting material). The rest will come with the use of general public speaking skills.

Many thanks for all the presentation tips! (you too blackcurrant)

After another day of my current topic, I've realised I had overlooked the possibility of symbolism in my analysis, commentating only on the events of book rather than the aforementioned symbolism

Would this be a viable topic: The role of symbolism in Amir's journey to redemption?

Or should I keep it broad like the original?

My original approach so far is tending to recount in a cause and effect style, which I know won't get me far, but at the same time, my new topic seems too specific and I have a feeling won't be able to incorporate themes from other parts of the novel

Thanks in advance!

47 minutes ago, tim9800 said:

Many thanks for all the presentation tips! (you too blackcurrant)

After another day of my current topic, I've realised I had overlooked the possibility of symbolism in my analysis, commentating only on the events of book rather than the aforementioned symbolism

Would this be a viable topic: The role of symbolism in Amir's journey to redemption?

Or should I keep it broad like the original?

My original approach so far is tending to recount in a cause and effect style, which I know won't get me far, but at the same time, my new topic seems too specific and I have a feeling won't be able to incorporate themes from other parts of the novel

Thanks in advance!

Obviously it's hard to tell simply from what you've said, but your previous title sounds worryingly more like a narrative re-telling of the journey to redemption (which wins no lit marks unfortunately) whereas your new one sounds a lot more like literary analysis because it's addressing one of the methods through which the journey to redemption is written. You don't want to simply re-explain the book, you need to analyse the way it's been written. If you're worried that exploring symbolism alone won't give you enough content, you could always try "What techniques does [author] use to highlight Amir's path to redemption?", which gives you scope to basically blast the whole topic but will also keep you focussed on the bits you win marks for.

• Like 1

I really liked your second topic; The role of symbolism in Amir's journey to redemption

From my experience, IB prefers more specific questions rather than broad ones :)

For your criteria question, my advice is to look at other presentations on YouTube, look at some techniques they use that you feel like works, and get inspired! The IB does not expect you to be a professional, just keep it simple but effective, and use your imagination to create a creative piece. Your topic is already creative. Go for it (Y) 

• Like 1