Biology SL vs Biology HL

Sophiaa_x

Hi everyone! I'm considering applying for medicine in the US or in England and I have a quite big problem. Besides that I want to take 7 subjects, I also don't really know if I should take Biology on Higher Level or not. I must stay that I'm not that passionate about biology in general, I'm quite good at memorasation, but my problem is that the teacher in our school is really, really bad. I can't stand her and most of the time I don't understand what she's talking about (and she makes our lessons as if we were biology uni students). Instead, I want to take Chem HL, so my question is: is that a very big problem if I took Bio on SL?

Thanks for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about your Biology teacher being awful. Biology is a memorisation subject and as such all you really need is the textbook. Our Biology teacher taught my entire class of the A Level syllabus for a year and a half without realising... and everybody still did well, just ignored her and taught ourselves!

For other subjects e.g. Chemistry which are very conceptual, your teacher is important. However for Biology it shouldn't really have such a big impact on your grades, even if your teacher spends the whole lesson cackling insanely, there's no reason you couldn't just learn it yourself!

• Like 1