Urgent: Need help with final decision on IB subjects

hyunss

I need to make a final decision on my first year IB subjects for the next school year by tomorrow, and I need some urgent help with it. I personally am not good with making decisions so deciding my IB subjects has been a really really hard thing for me as they do affect which majors I'm going to take in university.

So the subject choices I have in my mind at this moment is like this:

English A Lang & Lit - HL

Biology - HL

Math - HL

Psychology - HL

Chinese A Lang & Lit - SL

Chemistry - SL

Honestly, I am not quite sure about the whole taking-4-HLs thing. I could just go with psychology SL, but it is a real interest of mine so I want to take it, plus I heard that the gap between Psych SL and HL isn't that big? (I'm not sure about this so can someone verify this please?)

One thing that's kind of bothering and worrying me is Math HL. I have heard from many people and read so many forums saying that math HL is one of the hardest course in IB that takes a lot of time also. I am worried because I'm personally not 100% confident with my math skills. However, at the same time knowing that I am a very hard worker, I feel like I may be able to manage it if I just try really hard on it. (As you can see, I'm having a hard time deciding if Math HL will be manageable or not)

The subject combination above looks pretty challenging and it is probably going to be one of the most challenging schedules as for example I'm taking both A levels for the languages even though I'm not fluent in both (however, I'm pretty confident with them though I know I'll have big amount of work to do)

Do you guys think that this subject combination is handleable?

For extra specific info, I'm aiming for science major at university (at least for now).

I would really appreciate any and all kind of thoughts or opinions on this. Thank you!!!

Your subject combination does look challenging but if you like Psychology that much and want to take it at HL then I wouldn't say drop it. But are you sure you also want to do English A Lang and Lit at HL? It is not an easy subject for HL and especially since you say you're not very fluent and want to pursue a science major it doesn't seem necessary. Unless you want to keep your options open. Also about Math HL do not worry that much. Many people make it seem overly hard but if you practice with a lot of past papers and study consistently you probably won't have a problem. I wasn't too confident with my maths skills either at first and started with lower grades but after a while everything seemed easier. If you think you will want to work hard enough with this subject combination you could try it even though it will be difficult.

• Like 1

Your subject combination does look challenging but if you like Psychology that much and want to take it at HL then I wouldn't say drop it. But are you sure you also want to do English A Lang and Lit at HL? It is not an easy subject for HL and especially since you say you're not very fluent and want to pursue a science major it doesn't seem necessary. Unless you want to keep your options open. Also about Math HL do not worry that much. Many people make it seem overly hard but if you practice with a lot of past papers and study consistently you probably won't have a problem. I wasn't too confident with my maths skills either at first and started with lower grades but after a while everything seemed easier. If you think you will want to work hard enough with this subject combination you could try it even though it will be difficult.

First of all, thank you so much!!

And yeah, I decided to go with English SL just like you said, since I want to pursuing a science major after all. I submitted my final subject combination yesterday so I've got one less thing to deal with now. :)

• Like 1