Subject Choices

ibterminator

I want to study computer science at university level. My school does not offer Computer Science in IB and most of the biggest Uni's see Computer Science as a 'desirable' subject but not required. I am already planning on self teaching my self computer science through something like Coursera. 

I met with my IB coordinator and decided provisional subjects for next year. I chose Math HL, Physics HL and ITGS HL as well as Economics SL, English Lang and Lit SL and Spanish SL. 

My concern is that ITGS might be seen as a 'soft' subject and therefore be bad for my chances at top universities. Should i switch ITGS and Economics? Are there any recommendation of what i can do? I hate chemistry so that's out of the picture. I wouldn't mind History but the timetable of the school doesn't allow both Economics and History.

Any thoughts?

I want to study computer science at university level. My school does not offer Computer Science in IB and most of the biggest Uni's see Computer Science as a 'desirable' subject but not required. I am already planning on self teaching my self computer science through something like Coursera. 

I met with my IB coordinator and decided provisional subjects for next year. I chose Math HL, Physics HL and ITGS HL as well as Economics SL, English Lang and Lit SL and Spanish SL. 

My concern is that ITGS might be seen as a 'soft' subject and therefore be bad for my chances at top universities. Should i switch ITGS and Economics? Are there any recommendation of what i can do? I hate chemistry so that's out of the picture. I wouldn't mind History but the timetable of the school doesn't allow both Economics and History.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I think your subject combination is absolutely fine. Yes, to many people, ITGS is a 'soft' subject, but it wouldn't affect your uni application because you're applying to computer science, and the most important subjects that you would want to have are math, physics, (and preferably computer science, which your school unfortunately doesn't offer). So don't worry too much about your subject choice.

Personally, I think your subject combination is absolutely fine. Yes, to many people, ITGS is a 'soft' subject, but it wouldn't affect your uni application because you're applying to computer science, and the most important subjects that you would want to have are math, physics, (and preferably computer science, which your school unfortunately doesn't offer). So don't worry too much about your subject choice.

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Oxford and they said that i should do as much math as possible so doing Math HL and Physics HL is fine. My third higher wont matter too much other than the grade i get from it. 

Out of curiosity, what universities did you apply to with your grades? And any tips for an aspiring 7's student in Math HL and Physics HL?

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Oxford and they said that i should do as much math as possible so doing Math HL and Physics HL is fine. My third higher wont matter too much other than the grade i get from it. 

Out of curiosity, what universities did you apply to with your grades? And any tips for an aspiring 7's student in Math HL and Physics HL?

Exactly. It's great you actually emailed Oxford, because it's always best to get the information directly the universities themselves. Another thing I should add is that for top universities (Oxford included), IB grades are not the only thing that will decide whether you'll get in or not. the admission is based on combination of many other factors as well, including extracurricular activities, personal letters, some kind of admission tests, as well as the interview.  In fact, I believe that these factors are more important factors than the IB grades themselves, because these factors are what that separate you from other also-excellent IB students.

For computer science, the only university that I applied to was University of Oslo, and that's also where I'm currently studying . For tips and stuff, it's kinda hard for me to list everything here. However, if you search around on the forum, you will see plenty of posts (written by myself, as well as by many inspiring members of IBS) about tips to get 7 in both Math & Physics HL.

Exactly. It's great you actually emailed Oxford, because it's always best to get the information directly the universities themselves. Another thing I should add is that for top universities (Oxford included), IB grades are not the only thing that will decide whether you'll get in or not. the admission is based on combination of many other factors as well, including extracurricular activities, personal letters, some kind of admission tests, as well as the interview.  In fact, I believe that these factors are more important factors than the IB grades themselves, because these factors are what that separate you from other also-excellent IB students.

For computer science, the only university that I applied to was University of Oslo, and that's also where I'm currently studying . For tips and stuff, it's kinda hard for me to list everything here. However, if you search around on the forum, you will see plenty of posts (written by myself, as well as by many inspiring members of IBS) about tips to get 7 in both Math & Physics HL.

You're right. I've seen a lot of applicants get rejected with perfect grades for Oxford. According to their email the MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test) is the most important thing with the interview following. I think that as long as you get above the requirements of 766 you have a decent chance of getting in with a good MAT score, interview and personal statement.<<<For future readers

Edited by ibterminator