IB subject choices for medicine/law

bubitom

I've set my eyes on law or medicine at uni, but I can't decide yet. I'm planning on applying to universities like Oxbridge etc. I have to choose my IB subjects very soon and my school offers:
Mathematics HL, SL, Studies SL
Philosophy
History
Psychology
Bio
Chem
Physics
and then the languages Finnish and English
Also, I might be changing school and that one will not have philosophy and psychology, but instead global politics and economics.

• Like 1

Well, if you plan on applying to medicine at either Oxford or Cambridge (remember, you can't apply to both), or any UK university, you have to take Chemistry HL. Then you can choose between Physics, Biology, or Maths HL depending on your strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I'd recommend Biology because its human physiology content may be of some use, but it's completely up to you! Your other subjects don't really matter as long as you have at least Maths SL, and get 7s on your SL subjects and 766/776 on your HLs (depending on whether you want to apply to Oxford of Cambridge). Law doesn't have specific requirements, but History would be a good option to take for Law as it indicates essay-writing skills, though I'm sure Psychology and Psychology are similar - as will global politics, I'm sure! Not as sure about economics.

Basically, if I were you, I'd  choose choose Chemistry HL + maybe another science for medicine (if you don't feel you can do Maths HL), an essay-writing humanities (or two if you don't take two sciences) for Law, either take both Finnish and English as your Language A or choose one to be your Language B, and Maths SL (or HL if you don't think you can do another science at HL).

However, the most important thing to remember is, whilst your future plans are important, don't forget to do things that you like. There's no point taking History or Biology if you hate it! Those are just things that I'd recommend but at the end of the day, choose things you enjoy doing whilst at the same time keeping your goals in mind. If you like the subjects you're taking, you're more likely to score highly than in a subject you hate but feel will give you a better advantage (it probably won't). I wish you luck!