TOK presentation

rosie123

So, we have finished our presentation in the month of November. One week ago, our teacher informed my friend and me that our presentation even though one of the bests has to be awarded with lower points because my friend was reading the presentation from the slides. Even though I did not read the presentation, because in the same group have to be awarded with same points. I would like to know, if there really is any regulation that suggest lowering the points because of reading. I went through the guide and nothing was said that this kind of presentation should be awarded with zero points.

Thank you!

So, we have finished our presentation in the month of November. One week ago, our teacher informed my friend and me that our presentation even though one of the bests has to be awarded with lower points because my friend was reading the presentation from the slides. Even though I did not read the presentation, because in the same group have to be awarded with same points. I would like to know, if there really is any regulation that suggest lowering the points because of reading. I went through the guide and nothing was said that this kind of presentation should be awarded with zero points.

Thank you!

uhm i'm afraid your teacher might be right in this case. Here's a quote from the TOK guide:

Presentations may take many forms, such as lectures, interviews or debates. Students may use multimedia, costumes, or props to support their presentations. However, under no circumstances should the presentation be simply an essay read aloud to the class. While pre-recorded inserts within a presentation are permissible, the presentation itself must be a live experience and not a recording of the presentation.

Edited by Vioh

Thank you!

uhm i'm afraid your teacher might be right in this case. Here's a quote from the TOK guide:

Presentations may take many forms, such as lectures, interviews or debates. Students may use multimedia, costumes, or props to support their presentations. However, under no circumstances should the presentation be simply an essay read aloud to the class. While pre-recorded inserts within a presentation are permissible, the presentation itself must be a live experience and not a recording of the presentation.

I'm sorry ^~^ I was reading the assessment instrument! Sorry if I mislead!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It can't be an essay, but I assume your presentation wasn't simply in the format of an essay, but instead more speech-like. A small part of the criteria is about verbal expression and oral skills (how engaging you are, how fluently you express it, eye contact etc...). I guess your teacher penalised your partner for reading off the slide, since it made the speech less professional and it does seem reasonable to lower marks for reading off slides (our teachers always tell us we should never read off slides)

I don't think that there is any direct penalty for reading form the slides. But, you may be penalized for your overall impression it might come across as you weren't really prepared well for the presentation. But, if you write your PPD and your essay well, then the marks will definitely be moderated up.

Thank you for the answers. I hope that my essay and PPD will go well, so that my final grade is not affected.

Do you have maybe some tips regarding the PPD? Are there any rules or tips that should boost my grade, because we were not informed of any.

Thank you once again!