Physics formula anyone?

Anonymous Student

what could be the basic formula for wind that is affecting the boat to travel

I want to say more the area of sail it will travel faster but i cant explain with the formula 

thank you

this depends a lot on the design of the sails, as well as tonnes of other factors. For a simplest model of a sail, you can basically imagine the sail as some sort of a board in which the drag equation can be applied. The equation states that:

gif.latex? F_D = \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2 C_

So you can see that the area A is proportional to the drag force. Of course, to calculate the actual speed, you also need to take into account other factors, such as the drag caused by the water underneath the boat, etc. In any case, this is a very simple model for a sail boat. So if you want a more comprehensive analysis, I'd suggest you to start looking at this wiki article. Remember that fluid dynamics is complex and require a bit of advanced mathematics to understand, so don't expect to find an easy answer to these types of engineering questions.

• Like 1

what could be the basic formula for wind that is affecting the boat to travel

I want to say more the area of sail it will travel faster but i cant explain with the formula 

thank you

this depends a lot on the design of the sails, as well as tonnes of other factors. For a simplest model of a sail, you can basically imagine the sail as some sort of a board in which the drag equation can be applied. The equation states that:

gif.latex? F_D = \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2 C_

So you can see that the area A is proportional to the drag force. Of course, to calculate the actual speed, you also need to take into account other factors, such as the drag caused by the water underneath the boat, etc. In any case, this is a very simple model for a sail boat. So if you want a more comprehensive analysis, I'd suggest you to start looking at this wiki article. Remember that fluid dynamics is complex and require a bit of advanced mathematics to understand, so don't expect to find an easy answer to these types of engineering questions.

Thank you it has helped a lot

i also want to know if the kinetic energy gained by the boat from the wind is making the boat to travel. I mean, does kinetic energy turns to potential energy and makes boat to travel?