Is my Physics IA "too simple"?

Well, I'm taking physics SL and is suffering from deciding a topic for my IA.

I'm really obsessed with the idea of investigating how different shapes of parachutes affect the time of a fall of the parachute. But then my teacher keeps on telling me that my topic is "too simple". She told me that the lower-grades students are already doing a similar thing and that I should have multiple independent variables for my research.

I heard that a Physics IA (especially SL) can be simple, but is my topic that too simple?

She requires me to find "new discoveries" and now I don't understand what she's talking about.

Can somebody give me an advice on my RQ or about Physics IA in general? Should I change my topic, because she just told me that she's not gonna be responsible for the grade I get if I continue my IA with the topic of parachute.

Hey Triple H, just to clarify things, it doesn't matter whether you're in HL or SL for your IA as both have the same criteria. You have to keep your test fair by only investigating one variable and keeping others constant. The physics IA should consist of 6 to 12 pages max, so doing a multivariable research won't fit in your IA anyway. You don't have to find "new discoveries" but it is good to have your own innovations as it will contribute to the personal engagement criteria. I've seen simple IA's that scored high from the samples, so maybe that tells us that as long as we match the criteria its all goodd

• Like 1

Okay, firstly, there's nothing like a "too simple" topic. Whether you're in HL or SL, you're only required to fulfil the criteria (which can be found in the guide) to score high. To do so, it does not matter what your topic is, as long as your have good and valid content. Your topic is actually pretty good for the IA. In fact it has even been done for EE, which didn't score bad. The EE included one more variable, but since this is your IA, one variable is all you should have otherwise it would be too long.

You're only a high school student, you're not expected to make a discovery in ANY field, not just physics. I don't know if your teacher's inexperienced or just misinformed, or both, but you don't need to make any discovery for your IA. Even in this topic, if you carry out the experiment, and write everything on your own, you can score a 24 on 24. Obviously this will depend on the content presentation, etc. I'm just saying, there's a chance.

I think you should go ahead with the topic. Perform a good experiment, choosing one variable and keeping the rest constant (for example surface area, material, etc.) and then just analyse and evaluate. You're done. I wouldn't listen to that teacher if I were in your place. She is not responsible for the marks you get, but she IS responsible for the marks she gives.

Good luck with your IA, I hope this helped. You can PM me if you need any other help. Feel free to ask! :)

Hey Triple H, just to clarify things, it doesn't matter whether you're in HL or SL for your IA as both have the same criteria. You have to keep your test fair by only investigating one variable and keeping others constant. The physics IA should consist of 6 to 12 pages max, so doing a multivariable research won't fit in your IA anyway. You don't have to find "new discoveries" but it is good to have your own innovations as it will contribute to the personal engagement criteria. I've seen simple IA's that scored high from the samples, so maybe that tells us that as long as we match the criteria its all goodd

Yeah, I guess I'll stick with one independent variable. Good thing I asked, 'cause I was getting ready for some other variables.

Thanks for your advice.

Okay, firstly, there's nothing like a "too simple" topic. Whether you're in HL or SL, you're only required to fulfil the criteria (which can be found in the guide) to score high. To do so, it does not matter what your topic is, as long as your have good and valid content. Your topic is actually pretty good for the IA. In fact it has even been done for EE, which didn't score bad. The EE included one more variable, but since this is your IA, one variable is all you should have otherwise it would be too long.

You're only a high school student, you're not expected to make a discovery in ANY field, not just physics. I don't know if your teacher's inexperienced or just misinformed, or both, but you don't need to make any discovery for your IA. Even in this topic, if you carry out the experiment, and write everything on your own, you can score a 24 on 24. Obviously this will depend on the content presentation, etc. I'm just saying, there's a chance.

I think you should go ahead with the topic. Perform a good experiment, choosing one variable and keeping the rest constant (for example surface area, material, etc.) and then just analyse and evaluate. You're done. I wouldn't listen to that teacher if I were in your place. She is not responsible for the marks you get, but she IS responsible for the marks she gives.

Good luck with your IA, I hope this helped. You can PM me if you need any other help. Feel free to ask! :)

Thanks Sandy for all the great pieces of advice.

I think I'll stick with my topic and convince my teacher to let me do this (bit worried that she's not gonna support me).

I'll try to follow the criteria and aim for a high grade.

Thanks again for helping.