Claims

imstillalive

Rather than asking people to come up with knowledge claims for you, it's really up to you to find them yourself, because you've got to make this your own work. I'll show you how to extract knowledge claims from a question :)

Take my TOK essay question for example:

“In some areas of knowledge we try to reduce a complex whole to simple components, but in others we try to integrate simple components into a complex whole.” Discuss this distinction with reference to two areas of knowledge.

I then asked myself, "what does this mean??" - the knowledge claims are basically what the question is inferring. So here, it's saying that in one area of knowledge, we're trying to go from something complex to something simple, and in another area of knowledge, we're going from something simple to something complex. BOOM - those are the knowledge claims!!

Thus my knowledge claims were as follows:

• Reducing complexity to simplicity is a way of understanding complicated and sophisticated knowledge
  • Simplicity to complexity is a means of rebuilding and synthesising the simple concepts back into complex knowledge
  • Simple components are the foundations upon which we construct our knowledge

So with yours, what do you think your question is asking? I think your question is a little on the basic side, and I feel as if it is incomplete - stereotypes are a representation of society's understanding of what? Lack of understanding of other cultures? I think it needs a little reworking, but it's a great start :)

• Like 2

Rather than asking people to come up with knowledge claims for you, it's really up to you to find them yourself, because you've got to make this your own work. I'll show you how to extract knowledge claims from a question :)

“In some areas of knowledge we try to reduce a complex whole to simple components, but in others we try to integrate simple components into a complex whole.†Discuss this distinction with reference to two areas of knowledge.

I then asked myself, "what does this mean??" - the knowledge claims are basically what the question is inferring. So here, it's saying that in one area of knowledge, we're trying to go from something complex to something simple, and in another area of knowledge, we're going from something simple to something complex. BOOM - those are the knowledge claims!!

• Reducing complexity to simplicity is a way of understanding complicated and sophisticated knowledge
  • Simplicity to complexity is a means of rebuilding and synthesising the simple concepts back into complex knowledge

So with yours, what do you think your question is asking? I think your question is a little on the basic side, and I feel as if it is incomplete - stereotypes are a representation of society's understanding of what? Lack of understanding of other cultures? I think it needs a little reworking, but it's a great start :)

Thanks! I just wanted some examples of claims, I really don't understand how to make claims. This helped though. :)

Do you think It'll be easier if I added the more to the knowledge question?

And what were you counter claims to your claims?

“In some areas of knowledge we try to reduce a complex whole to simple components, but in others we try to integrate simple components into a complex whole.” Discuss this distinction with reference to two areas of knowledge.

Thanks! I just wanted some examples of claims, I really don't understand how to make claims. This helped though. :)

If you want, I can PM you and I'll work with you to come up with some claims :)

“In some areas of knowledge we try to reduce a complex whole to simple components, but in others we try to integrate simple components into a complex whole.†Discuss this distinction with reference to two areas of knowledge.

If you want, I can PM you and I'll work with you to come up with some claims :)

That would be so helpful. Thank you!