How should I study for my English midterm?

So I have my English exam in two parts in two days. I haven't started studying for this exam as Biology is more stressful. But I don't understand how I'm supposed to study for a commentary and an essay. Should I try looking at examples of a passage and then write a commentary/ essay on that topic, or what?

So I have my English exam in two parts in two days. I haven't started studying for this exam as Biology is more stressful. But I don't understand how I'm supposed to study for a commentary and an essay. Should I try looking at examples of a passage and then write a commentary/ essay on that topic, or what?

English is one of the harder subjects to study for. I'd say read read and read more. Looking at what other people have done always helps. Also looking at past work that you did helps as well. Hope this helps. Cheers X

I would suggest that you review any notes that you have taken or if you have not taken any notes on the works you have studied, than jot down some of the major themes and how they are developed, importance of the setting, characters and their development, structural components of the works...etc. And then practice writing thesis statements from past papers (apply the prompts to your studied works).

As for commentaries, depending on how much time you have, sit down, pick out a random section in one of your texts and run through a commentary (if you can do this with someone or a group of people where you shorten your commentaries to 10 mins of annotation and 5 mins of analysis then you can all listen to each other and provide feedback to improve as a group).

All the best!

• 2 months later...

So a lot of people say that English is a hard subject to study for- somewhat true. BUT work never goes to waste. What I usually do is practice essays and read some of my past stuff to see how my teacher thought about it (depends on if they write comments). I also like to memorize fancy words and expand my vocabulary so what better way then to use the midterm as an excuse. Lastly READ, READ, READ, and did I mention READ, like people have said before. GOOD LUCK!